Federal Clerkship Chances Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federal Clerkship Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Well, I know this is going to be a long and depressing shot, but might as well get some feed back. I know it's -very- early for class of 2012 to consider clerkships, but my position right now makes it necessary.

I'm a 2L that attends at T60ish who transferred laterally from another T60ish. The schools are on opposite ends of the country, and I don't have any major local ties to either region. I've been taking BAR classes for the most part thus far, and have not had a chance (outside of legal writing) to make a close connection with professors who can account for research and writing abilities.

I did not work over my 1L summer, and have no personal connections to anyone in the legal field.

At both schools, I'm somewhere between the top 5-20% depending on the semester and schools ranking system. Because I am a transfer student at my 2L school, I was not able to join law review but became an AE on a fairly large and influential secondary journal.

I'll be doing an externship with DOJ D.C. in the fall semester, making it difficult to develop strong faculty connections in the mean time.

So, how bad are my chances?

I know Ct. App. are pretty much impossible.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Re: Federal Clerkship Chances

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, how bad are my chances?

::summons G.T.L. Rev.::

GTL (plus some other TLS fedclerks) will give you more full responses. I'd wager those responses will be, for the most part, a resounding "quite poor to non-existent." You might want to shoot more towards state trial-level clerkships, with an outside shot at state appellate-level clerkships. Anything federal, even if you're at a top school, is extremely competitive. Sorry, dood.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:47 am

Fed clerk here. I did not attend a T1 school, but finished in the top 15% of my class and interned for a state appellate judge and a federal appellate judge while in law school. I had interviews with several fed dist judges, BUT a lot of that was based on geography (I had substantial ties to a specific region) and similar legal interest (I recommend checking out the judges' background before applying). It seems that geography might not be in your favor, so start looking for judges with similar backgrounds (e.g., same undergrad/law school, military experience, displayed interest in a specific type of law, etc.).

Hope that helps.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Anyone know what stats would be competitive in general for State Supreme Court clerkships?

Also, if you land a state appellate clerkship or a state supreme court clerkship, would that help you to "move up" to a federal district court judge after your state clerkship is over? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”