2L summer w/ prosecution goal: USAO or DA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L summer w/ prosecution goal: USAO or DA?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:24 pm

2L looking to start in prosecution after graduation (DA's office most likely but I'll be sending the obligatory prayer to DOJ Honors). Currently have summer intern offers with DA's office in city where I'd most like to be and USAO office that is closer to my school but not where I want to eventually work. Worked at different DA's office in same city last summer. Any thoughts appreciated.

conn09

Silver

Re: 2L summer w/ prosecution goal: USAO or DA?

Post by conn09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Is the DA's office going to let you argue cases in court?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

in theory yes, but i've heard interns get more actual court appearance time at the USAOs.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:in theory yes, but i've heard interns get more actual court appearance time at the USAOs.
THis will depend entirely on the office, but you've heard that about the specific USAO you're talking about, that's encouraging. I'd also think about whether the DA gig might have the opportunity to become a permanent offer, since the USAO won't.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I mean, are there any jobs out there for prosecutors with all of the state budget crises? I also can't understand why DA's offices do not look at grades as the most significant criteria for interviews. I am kind of bitter towards prosecutor's offices right now as I can get interviews b/c of my grades and school rank for firms (not biglaw b/c I missed OCI) but not DA's offices, even in very rural locations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm

A'nold wrote:I mean, are there any jobs out there for prosecutors with all of the state budget crises? I also can't understand why DA's offices do not look at grades as the most significant criteria for interviews. I am kind of bitter towards prosecutor's offices right now as I can get interviews b/c of my grades and school rank for firms (not biglaw b/c I missed OCI) but not DA's offices, even in very rural locations.
You can't understand why an office full of people who spend all of their time doing practical things care more about experiences, personality, and skills than they do your Property grade?

sea otter aficionado

New

Post by sea otter aficionado » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:in theory yes, but i've heard interns get more actual court appearance time at the USAOs.
THis will depend entirely on the office, but you've heard that about the specific USAO you're talking about, that's encouraging. I'd also think about whether the DA gig might have the opportunity to become a permanent offer, since the USAO won't.

I don't think that's totally true (though generally yes). I've heard that there seems to be a growing trend of US Atty's offices hiring kids straight out of clerkships, with prior intern experience at that particular location being a helpful factor. So it can help in securing a permanent offer I suppose.

(But take that with a grain of salt.)

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm

sea otter aficionado wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I don't think that's totally true (though generally yes). I've heard that there seems to be a growing trend of US Atty's offices hiring kids straight out of clerkships, with prior intern experience at that particular location being a helpful factor. So it can help in securing a permanent offer I suppose.

If you actually know firsthand of this happening once, I'm impressed. Assuming you mean paid jobs, of course. I know of some deferred SAs who were working for free in a USAO. Interning will help, but they, as a rule, do not hire new grads
Last edited by Renzo on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm

npe wrote:
A'nold wrote:I mean, are there any jobs out there for prosecutors with all of the state budget crises? I also can't understand why DA's offices do not look at grades as the most significant criteria for interviews. I am kind of bitter towards prosecutor's offices right now as I can get interviews b/c of my grades and school rank for firms (not biglaw b/c I missed OCI) but not DA's offices, even in very rural locations.
You can't understand why an office full of people who spend all of their time doing practical things care more about experiences, personality, and skills than they do your Property grade?
I'm not saying I don't have those too, lol. I have prior WE, a good personality :wink: , etc.

Btw- skills? It takes "skilz" to get good grades. I'm not saying that it should be THE factor but I would think it should be kind of a floor to get you in. I don't think it should be as irrelevant as I've been told. Getting good grades and those other qualities are not mutually exclusive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:01 pm

A'nold wrote:
npe wrote:
I'm not saying I don't have those too, lol. I have prior WE, a good personality :wink: , etc.

Btw- skills? It takes "skilz" to get good grades. I'm not saying that it should be THE factor but I would think it should be kind of a floor to get you in. I don't think it should be as irrelevant as I've been told. Getting good grades and those other qualities are not mutually exclusive.
I didn't and don't deny either of those. And I didn't mean to imply that you don't have a good personality, haha. But I guess I just understand why grades aren't "the most significant criteria for interviews." I think DA's offices get a lot of applicants from people who have known for years that they want to be a prosecutor -- applicants who (1) have focused their academic work on criminal law and (2) have tried to gain practical experiences during law school. A recent interviewer told me that she doesn't think grades are a very significant factor, and she was much more impressed with my course selection and the fact that I've worked every semester since the first semester of my 1L year (and only once for credit). I'm sure it also helped that I have solid grades, but they've definitely suffered because I've tried to focus on gaining practical experience. We even laughed and joked around about a recent shit grade I got.

Granted, I'm still waiting for a response, so take that for what it's worth.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:10 pm

npe wrote:
A'nold wrote:
npe wrote:

I didn't and don't deny either of those. And I didn't mean to imply that you don't have a good personality, haha. But I guess I just understand why grades aren't "the most significant criteria for interviews." I think DA's offices get a lot of applicants from people who have known for years that they want to be a prosecutor -- applicants who (1) have focused their academic work on criminal law and (2) have tried to gain practical experiences during law school. A recent interviewer told me that she doesn't think grades are a very significant factor, and she was much more impressed with my course selection and the fact that I've worked every semester since the first semester of my 1L year (and only once for credit). I'm sure it also helped that I have solid grades, but they've definitely suffered because I've tried to focus on gaining practical experience. We even laughed and joked around about a recent shit grade I got.

Thanks.

Well, I guess I blew it when it came to planning. I got a nice paying job for 1L and I was told to always take the paying jobs when you could for 1L...... :?

I guess the middle of the road (indecisive) people like me have a hard time when they finally start figuring out what they want to do upon graduation.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Renzo wrote:
sea otter aficionado wrote:
Renzo wrote:

If you actually know firsthand of this happening once, I'm impressed. Assuming you mean paid jobs, of course. I know of some deferred SAs who were working for free in a USAO. Interning will help, but they, as a rule, do not hire new grads

I'm not sure if this is what sea otter is referring to, but IIRC some of the offices (I think SDCA is one of them) had postings for basically entry-level AUSA positions. You had to have already passed the bar but I think you could be considered straight out of a clerkship.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:47 pm

npe wrote:
A'nold wrote:
npe wrote:

This falls in line with what I've been generally told as well (I'm also an aspiring ADA). I'm trying to work with a state AG's office or a local DA's office this summer and 2L year my course selection will be HEAVILY geared toward my career interest (i.e., CrimPro, Evidence, TrialAd, etc.)

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 pm

npe wrote:
A'nold wrote:
npe wrote:
A'nold wrote:

This falls in line with what I've been generally told as well (I'm also an aspiring ADA). I'm trying to work with a state AG's office or a local DA's office this summer and 2L year my course selection will be HEAVILY geared toward my career interest (i.e., CrimPro, Evidence, TrialAd, etc.)
I made some good $ over my 1L summer at a firm but it might have killed my chances at an ADA position for 2L. Like I said, I'm getting interest from firms but not DA's offices, even in rural counties.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”