What are t-20-30 grads doing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby haoledugan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:k i know several partners at some V10's....what can they possibly do lol


i hand-delivered my resume to the CEO (who is a personal friend) of an L.A. engineering company that is #1 in its industry. i got an interview for an unpaid internship and no offer. the legal job market is worse. hth.


Is this real? Also, are there no recent grads on this forum who can speak to the current job market directly from experience?? These questions are not rhetorical nor are they meant to be sarcastic, just honest curiosity.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:k i know several partners at some V10's....what can they possibly do lol


i hand-delivered my resume to the CEO (who is a personal friend) of an L.A. engineering company that is #1 in its industry. i got an interview for an unpaid internship and no offer. the legal job market is worse. hth.


Is this real? Also, are there no recent grads on this forum who can speak to the current job market directly from experience?? These questions are not rhetorical nor are they meant to be sarcastic, just honest curiosity.


i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby haoledugan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:42 pm

fatduck wrote:
haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:k i know several partners at some V10's....what can they possibly do lol


i hand-delivered my resume to the CEO (who is a personal friend) of an L.A. engineering company that is #1 in its industry. i got an interview for an unpaid internship and no offer. the legal job market is worse. hth.


Is this real? Also, are there no recent grads on this forum who can speak to the current job market directly from experience?? These questions are not rhetorical nor are they meant to be sarcastic, just honest curiosity.


i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.


How do you know the legal market is worse? Are you speaking to the legal market in SoCal, regional, etc.?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.


How do you know the legal market is worse? Are you speaking to the legal market in SoCal, regional, etc.?


i don't have any stats but i'm going to go out on a limb and say the job market for electrical engineers in a high-tech industry is better than the legal job market for median UC-Davis grads.

i think you read my post a little too broadly, though. i was responding to someone who claimed it would be easy for below-median grads of T30 schools to find legal work, and that even if it wasn't, he'd just call his "connections" at V10 firms and get hired. this is ridiculous advice.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.


How do you know the legal market is worse? Are you speaking to the legal market in SoCal, regional, etc.?


i don't have any stats but i'm going to go out on a limb and say the job market for electrical engineers in a high-tech industry is better than the legal job market for median UC-Davis grads.

i think you read my post a little too broadly, though. i was responding to someone who claimed it would be easy for below-median grads of T30 schools to find legal work, and that even if it wasn't, he'd just call his "connections" at V10 firms and get hired. this is ridiculous advice.


Typical in the United States of Entitlement though.

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby haoledugan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 am

are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 am

A'nold wrote:
SBL wrote:Any system which rewards people for being involved in stupid clubs that send me spammy emails and FB invites to their events is a crappy system.


This be the truth. I hate clubs with a passion.

Yeah, but think of all the free food and outlines you can snag from clubs.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
A'nold wrote:
SBL wrote:Any system which rewards people for being involved in stupid clubs that send me spammy emails and FB invites to their events is a crappy system.


This be the truth. I hate clubs with a passion.

Yeah, but think of all the free food and outlines you can snag from clubs.

Soooooooo many outlines.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:57 am

haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?



Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?



Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.


Class ranks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?



Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.


Class ranks?



those are basically listed in order of grades. the 4 that have biglaw--top 10-20%, midlaw kid is around top 25%, clerkships people (myself included) are all around top 33%, unemployeds are around top 40-50% (but not bottom half). the jobs are distributed pretty exactly around grades.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?



Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.


Class ranks?



those are basically listed in order of grades. the 4 that have biglaw--top 10-20%, midlaw kid is around top 25%, clerkships people (myself included) are all around top 33%, unemployeds are around top 40-50% (but not bottom half). the jobs are distributed pretty exactly around grades.

Federal clerkship from top third at a t20-30? Color me skeptical.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?



Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.


Class ranks?



those are basically listed in order of grades. the 4 that have biglaw--top 10-20%, midlaw kid is around top 25%, clerkships people (myself included) are all around top 33%, unemployeds are around top 40-50% (but not bottom half). the jobs are distributed pretty exactly around grades.


Since you're anon would you mind posting the school? Or whether its a major market school (BC/BU/GW)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 am

clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't assume federal = Article 3.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't assume federal = Article 3.


Justice Harlan, why do you always feel the need to "clarify" holdings via concurring opinions? You even later admitted that your 2 prong test in Katz shouldn't have included a subjective prong......pssh.

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby haoledugan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?



Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.


Thank you for the info. What is the general sentiment around your class (and not just among friends), i.e. is there a lot of talk about going into something other than law to avoid unemployment?
Thanks again.

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby haoledugan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Would love to hear from other grads/3L's as well. :D

Rule11
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Rule11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 pm

The guy with the "connections" was/is flame, right? I'm not sure I want to live in a world where that's not flame.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Rule11 wrote:The guy with the "connections" was/is flame, right? I'm not sure I want to live in a world where that's not flame.


If that's your line for not wanting to live in this world, you must be a very depressed individual. :wink:

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:46 pm

A'nold wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't assume federal = Article 3.


Justice Harlan, why do you always feel the need to "clarify" holdings via concurring opinions? You even later admitted that your 2 prong test in Katz shouldn't have included a subjective prong......pssh.


+1!

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 pm

A'nold wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't assume federal = Article 3.


Justice Harlan, why do you always feel the need to "clarify" holdings via concurring opinions? You even later admitted that your 2 prong test in Katz shouldn't have included a subjective prong......pssh.

Would it make you feel better if I switched my 'tar back to the elder Justice Harlan?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
A'nold wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't assume federal = Article 3.


Justice Harlan, why do you always feel the need to "clarify" holdings via concurring opinions? You even later admitted that your 2 prong test in Katz shouldn't have included a subjective prong......pssh.

Would it make you feel better if I switched my 'tar back to the elder Justice Harlan?

TBH, I like the way you make these things simpler for the lower dredges of the legal community like me. Bravo Justice Harlan, bravo. 8)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Back on topic...

Here's the thing. If you're going to a t20-30, you need 1 or 2 of the following:

(a) kick ass grades
(b) 50%+ tuition paid, by the school, a trust fund, a rich aunt, savings from a job
(c) resignation to shitlaw/PD + IBR slavery

(a) is probably preferable, because from a t20-30 if you kick ass you can still get a great job. But it's nearly impossible to predict. (b) is really the only one you can know in advance.

I go to a t20-30, came in with a 50% scholarship, and have kicked serious ass so far (top 5%). I always thought I would do well, but maybe I just got lucky? Who the hell really knows. Moral of the story: unless you have (b) or (c), counting on (a) is a serious gamble at a t20-30.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Back on topic...

Here's the thing. If you're going to a t20-30, you need 1 or 2 of the following:

(a) kick ass grades
(b) 50%+ tuition paid, by the school, a trust fund, a rich aunt, savings from a job
(c) resignation to shitlaw/PD + IBR slavery

(a) is probably preferable, because from a t20-30 if you kick ass you can still get a great job. But it's nearly impossible to predict. (b) is really the only one you can know in advance.

I go to a t20-30, came in with a 50% scholarship, and have kicked serious ass so far (top 5%). I always thought I would do well, but maybe I just got lucky? Who the hell really knows. Moral of the story: unless you have (b) or (c), counting on (a) is a serious gamble at a t20-30.


What about great in-state tuition that will not put you in 200k debt? This is why I am considering a T28, otherwise I'd probably resign myself to my T14 waiting lists.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.