redacted. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
haoledugan

Bronze

Re: What are t-20-30 grads doing?

Post by haoledugan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:k i know several partners at some V10's....what can they possibly do lol
i hand-delivered my resume to the CEO (who is a personal friend) of an L.A. engineering company that is #1 in its industry. i got an interview for an unpaid internship and no offer. the legal job market is worse. hth.
Is this real? Also, are there no recent grads on this forum who can speak to the current job market directly from experience?? These questions are not rhetorical nor are they meant to be sarcastic, just honest curiosity.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 pm

haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:k i know several partners at some V10's....what can they possibly do lol
i hand-delivered my resume to the CEO (who is a personal friend) of an L.A. engineering company that is #1 in its industry. i got an interview for an unpaid internship and no offer. the legal job market is worse. hth.
Is this real? Also, are there no recent grads on this forum who can speak to the current job market directly from experience?? These questions are not rhetorical nor are they meant to be sarcastic, just honest curiosity.
i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:42 pm

fatduck wrote:
haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:
i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.
How do you know the legal market is worse? Are you speaking to the legal market in SoCal, regional, etc.?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.
How do you know the legal market is worse? Are you speaking to the legal market in SoCal, regional, etc.?
i don't have any stats but i'm going to go out on a limb and say the job market for electrical engineers in a high-tech industry is better than the legal job market for median UC-Davis grads.

i think you read my post a little too broadly, though. i was responding to someone who claimed it would be easy for below-median grads of T30 schools to find legal work, and that even if it wasn't, he'd just call his "connections" at V10 firms and get hired. this is ridiculous advice.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
haoledugan wrote:
fatduck wrote:i was being serious. the point is that knowing a partner at a firm doesn't mean you're going to get a job offer or even summer work, unless they're directly involved in hiring.
i don't have any stats but i'm going to go out on a limb and say the job market for electrical engineers in a high-tech industry is better than the legal job market for median UC-Davis grads.

i think you read my post a little too broadly, though. i was responding to someone who claimed it would be easy for below-median grads of T30 schools to find legal work, and that even if it wasn't, he'd just call his "connections" at V10 firms and get hired. this is ridiculous advice.
Typical in the United States of Entitlement though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 am

are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 am

A'nold wrote:
SBL wrote:Any system which rewards people for being involved in stupid clubs that send me spammy emails and FB invites to their events is a crappy system.
This be the truth. I hate clubs with a passion.
Yeah, but think of all the free food and outlines you can snag from clubs.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
A'nold wrote:
SBL wrote:Any system which rewards people for being involved in stupid clubs that send me spammy emails and FB invites to their events is a crappy system.
This be the truth. I hate clubs with a passion.
Yeah, but think of all the free food and outlines you can snag from clubs.
Soooooooo many outlines.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:57 am

haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?

Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
4 have biglaw (2 in major markets, 2 in secondary markets)
1 has midlaw
2 have clerkships (federal)
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
haoledugan wrote:are there any t20 -t30 grads who can respond to the title of this post?

Not a grad yet, but a t20-30 3L. I have a clerkship (federal). Of ten of my friends here are their post-grad plans:
1 has midlaw
3 are unemployed

I have no idea whether this is an accurate sample of our school. It's probably not.
Class ranks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1 has midlaw
3 are unemployed

Class ranks?

those are basically listed in order of grades. the 4 that have biglaw--top 10-20%, midlaw kid is around top 25%, clerkships people (myself included) are all around top 33%, unemployeds are around top 40-50% (but not bottom half). the jobs are distributed pretty exactly around grades.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1 has midlaw
3 are unemployed

Class ranks?

those are basically listed in order of grades. the 4 that have biglaw--top 10-20%, midlaw kid is around top 25%, clerkships people (myself included) are all around top 33%, unemployeds are around top 40-50% (but not bottom half). the jobs are distributed pretty exactly around grades.
Federal clerkship from top third at a t20-30? Color me skeptical.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1 has midlaw
3 are unemployed

Class ranks?

Since you're anon would you mind posting the school? Or whether its a major market school (BC/BU/GW)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 am

clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.
Fair enough, I guess I shouldn't assume federal = Article 3.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:clerkships are federal, but mostly specialized (e.g. bankruptcy, tax, fed court of claims). school is in a secondary market.
Justice Harlan, why do you always feel the need to "clarify" holdings via concurring opinions? You even later admitted that your 2 prong test in Katz shouldn't have included a subjective prong......pssh.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1 has midlaw
3 are unemployed

Thank you for the info. What is the general sentiment around your class (and not just among friends), i.e. is there a lot of talk about going into something other than law to avoid unemployment?
Thanks again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Would love to hear from other grads/3L's as well. :D

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 pm

The guy with the "connections" was/is flame, right? I'm not sure I want to live in a world where that's not flame.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Rule11 wrote:The guy with the "connections" was/is flame, right? I'm not sure I want to live in a world where that's not flame.
If that's your line for not wanting to live in this world, you must be a very depressed individual. :wink:

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:46 pm

A'nold wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Justice Harlan, why do you always feel the need to "clarify" holdings via concurring opinions? You even later admitted that your 2 prong test in Katz shouldn't have included a subjective prong......pssh.
+1!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 pm

A'nold wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Would it make you feel better if I switched my 'tar back to the elder Justice Harlan?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
A'nold wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Would it make you feel better if I switched my 'tar back to the elder Justice Harlan?
TBH, I like the way you make these things simpler for the lower dredges of the legal community like me. Bravo Justice Harlan, bravo. 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Back on topic...

Here's the thing. If you're going to a t20-30, you need 1 or 2 of the following:

(a) kick ass grades
(b) 50%+ tuition paid, by the school, a trust fund, a rich aunt, savings from a job
(c) resignation to shitlaw/PD + IBR slavery

(a) is probably preferable, because from a t20-30 if you kick ass you can still get a great job. But it's nearly impossible to predict. (b) is really the only one you can know in advance.

I go to a t20-30, came in with a 50% scholarship, and have kicked serious ass so far (top 5%). I always thought I would do well, but maybe I just got lucky? Who the hell really knows. Moral of the story: unless you have (b) or (c), counting on (a) is a serious gamble at a t20-30.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Back on topic...

Here's the thing. If you're going to a t20-30, you need 1 or 2 of the following:

(a) kick ass grades
(b) 50%+ tuition paid, by the school, a trust fund, a rich aunt, savings from a job
(c) resignation to shitlaw/PD + IBR slavery

(a) is probably preferable, because from a t20-30 if you kick ass you can still get a great job. But it's nearly impossible to predict. (b) is really the only one you can know in advance.

I go to a t20-30, came in with a 50% scholarship, and have kicked serious ass so far (top 5%). I always thought I would do well, but maybe I just got lucky? Who the hell really knows. Moral of the story: unless you have (b) or (c), counting on (a) is a serious gamble at a t20-30.
What about great in-state tuition that will not put you in 200k debt? This is why I am considering a T28, otherwise I'd probably resign myself to my T14 waiting lists.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”