RA v. PD v. Legal Aid

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which job?

R.A.
46%
Defender
38%
Legal Aid
15%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

RA v. PD v. Legal Aid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Need a bit of advice! I thought I had my summer all settled, but I'm a doofy 1L and I guess I just didn't count on a bunch of offers/interviews coming in mid-February. I submitted all my apps in early Dec and thought that, when I didn't hear back by the end of Jan, I wasn't getting interviews out of those apps. Whoops!

Anyway. At a T-14, and I want to do PI out of law school. Haven't decided type of PI job to do yet. (Got top 25% grades my first semester.) My summer options are:

RA with a professor I respect and really admire. The work is crim law related, in an area of crim law I'm very interested in. This was my first offer, and I'm so stoked about it, to be honest.
PD in the city I live. The office seems pretty awesome, I've gotta say.
Legal Aid across the country. I wouldn't have to pay double rent (since I could live with my parents, but I'd still have to pay rent on my apartment in the city I live).

If nothing else mattered, I'd take the RA position, because I just think it'd be fun as hell (also: paid; also: awesome references). But I'm worried about lack of experience. At the PD's office, it sounds like I could get some practical stuff under my belt.

idk any advice you could give is great. Would taking the RA position kinda screw me in the future? Would it be okay since it's related to crim law? Would it be double okay since it could help me get references for a clerkship? Help?

Anonymous User

Re: RA v. PD v. Legal Aid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm interested solely in PI and at a T10. My public service people here said that this summer was the only time you should branch out and do something else besides PI if you want to.

Note that while I loved the fast-paced nature of the PD's office, you're mainly going to be doing administrative work on the jail chain, interviewing clients and just generally hanging around the attorneys. If that sounds good to you go ahead and do it, but its pretty clear that you want this RA position. Go ahead and take it. I don't see how it's going to hurt you.

Anonymous User

Re: RA v. PD v. Legal Aid

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested solely in PI and at a T10. My public service people here said that this summer was the only time you should branch out and do something else besides PI if you want to.

Note that while I loved the fast-paced nature of the PD's office, you're mainly going to be doing administrative work on the jail chain, interviewing clients and just generally hanging around the attorneys. If that sounds good to you go ahead and do it, but its pretty clear that you want this RA position. Go ahead and take it. I don't see how it's going to hurt you.

That's good to know -- thanks. :) I guess, being honest with myself, this is more of a "can I justify taking this RA position" thread. I'd hate to think I'm sabotaging myself or being irrational because of how much I like this professor and his/her work, so that's why I'm kind of poking around and making sure I'm not making a big mistake.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Legal Employment”