Blank Topic

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Blank Topic

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

fetalposition

Re: My friend's very difficult dilemma

Postby fetalposition » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:54 pm

is your friend really you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Your friend should interview with Cravath.

The federal government position has already accepted him, but he hasn't accepted that offer. So your friend should go to Cravath and hear what they have to say. Give Cravath a chance to (oh man this hurts to type) prove themselves. Cravath probably won't be enraged if ... your friend tells them, "This is a fantastic offer but after weighing my options I'd really prefer to go work for this government agency this summer."

Does your friend really want that government agency position that much? Well, the options are not necessarily mutually exclusive...if Cravath gives him an offer, he can always ask if it would be possible to arrange things in a split.

If your friend doesn't get an offer from Cravath, he at least gets to walk around the office and meet some attorneys, which could be invaluable come 2L OCI. I've also heard (and this sounds reasonable to me) that 1L summer interviews are lower-pressure in that less is expected of the interviewee, who can thus take a bigger risk and ask "dumb" questions if necessary.

Unless you go to Yale, your friend should also possibly stop approaching his friends with "dilemmas" of this sort. I am a friendly lawlcat but my mood might be soured by "tough decisions" that sound suspiciously like "bragging".

PriyaRai

Postby PriyaRai » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:11 am

That is such a badass problem.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 am

Lawlcat wrote:Unless you go to Yale, your friend should also possibly stop approaching his friends with "dilemmas" of this sort. I am a friendly lawlcat but my mood might be soured by "tough decisions" that sound suspiciously like "bragging".

10 brownies say that he/she takes Cravath if offered.

Return to “Legal Employment”