Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 am

I did a callback at Susman. They're a great firm, but the article / quotes are just puffing and bravado. Everyone I talked to was a geeky lawyer, not all that different from at any other law firm. The major (and public) lit firms (think Quinn, W&C, Boies, Susman) all like to put on warrior-faces when it comes to PR, which I'm sure is both a reflection of their work and designed to help impress clients.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:39 pm

All I'm saying is that, while you may look and be douchey in general, you could wear them with pride at the firm.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:46 pm

Veyron wrote:or... how to get hired at Susman Godfrey.

"If it's a choice between intellectual ability and personality, we'd choose intellectual ability."

All our job offers are contingent on the candidate getting a federal clerkship. Ninety-seven percent of our lawyers have done federal clerkships.

So who's the ideal fit?
"Someone who's clerked at the Supreme Court, is brilliant, and has theatrical presence."

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... an-qa.html

Veyron, your MO on this board seems to be dickish self-congratulations for attending Penn followed by some vague tough-love rationale for that dickishness all supposedly for the good of doe-eyed 0Ls. This post is an example of said rationale.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 pm

arvcondor wrote:

"If it's a choice between intellectual ability and personality, we'd choose intellectual ability."

All our job offers are contingent on the candidate getting a federal clerkship. Ninety-seven percent of our lawyers have done federal clerkships.

So who's the ideal fit?
"Someone who's clerked at the Supreme Court, is brilliant, and has theatrical presence."

Veyron, your MO on this board seems to be dickish self-congratulations for attending Penn followed by some vague tough-love rationale for that dickishness all supposedly for the good of doe-eyed 0Ls. This post is an example of said rationale.

You clearly don't read my posts. I'm just as sanguine about my own career prospects as I am about most anyone else's, I like to think of myself as an = opportunity curmudgeon. That being said, the interview is lulsworthy to the extreme, chill out and have a good laugh.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:04 pm

arvcondor wrote:

So who's the ideal fit?

haha kinda agree. plus....it's penn for christ's sake. not all that impressive.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
arvcondor wrote:

So who's the ideal fit?

Fair enough, I'd be much more impressed with myself if I went to Yale.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Veyron wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
arvcondor wrote:

So who's the ideal fit?

Fair enough, I'd be much more impressed with myself if I went to Yale.

sick edit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a callback at Susman. They're a great firm, but the article / quotes are just puffing and bravado. Everyone I talked to was a geeky lawyer, not all that different from at any other law firm. The major (and public) lit firms (think Quinn, W&C, Boies, Susman) all like to put on warrior-faces when it comes to PR, which I'm sure is both a reflection of their work and designed to help impress clients.

but John Quinn's twitter has some fantastic nuggets...

Return to “Legal Employment”