Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:24 pm

or... how to get hired at Susman Godfrey.

"If it's a choice between intellectual ability and personality, we'd choose intellectual ability."

All our job offers are contingent on the candidate getting a federal clerkship. Ninety-seven percent of our lawyers have done federal clerkships.

So who's the ideal fit?
"Someone who's clerked at the Supreme Court, is brilliant, and has theatrical presence."

http://thecareerist.typepad.com/thecare ... an-qa.html

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 pm

is this real?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:is this real?


Follow the link, it will blow your mind.
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:27 pm

We've also had phenomenal female lawyers who have great personality, are smart, and are pleasant to look at.

8)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 pm

No doubt elitism is a factor in hiring, but I don't think this article necessarily proves anything. Seems like for most firms, school/grades are the most important factors in getting preliminary consideration, but then after that it is primarily about fit and personality. Susman sounds like they are quite an outlier in this regard. Most hiring partners I've talked to about what they look for say something like, "Well, obviously grades first and foremost, but then we look for people we want to work with and people we think we would be able to put in front of clients."

Obviously I agree with you that prestige and elitism are big factors in hiring, I just wouldn't let Susman Godfrey be your primary authority on the matter.

jeremysen
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:is this real?


Follow the link, it will blow your mind.


epic

LawSchoolWannaBe
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:50 pm

They are 100% like this in interviews. It's pretty crazy.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:They are 100% like this in interviews. It's pretty crazy.


You got an INTERVIEW with susman! Can you give details?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 pm

fatduck wrote:
We've also had phenomenal female lawyers who have great personality, are smart, and are pleasant to look at.



New plan this summer... plastic surgery :|

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Will Smith made a video of his Susman interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRi28W-ENY

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Will Smith made a video of his Susman interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRi28W-ENY


Rip Torn works for Susman, AND he is an actor, AND a bank robber???? Dang

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Will Smith made a video of his Susman interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRi28W-ENY


Rip Torn works for Susman, AND he is an actor, AND a bank robber???? Dang


two words: theatrical presence


User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 pm



He was feeling mighty good with his boots on


god i love texas

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:23 pm

keg411 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
We've also had phenomenal female lawyers who have great personality, are smart, and are pleasant to look at.



New plan this summer... plastic surgery :|


FWIW, i've actually heard the opposite about attractive women and hiring practices - that it's harder for them to get hired because employers don't want to be accused of preferential hiring (and, as an extension, sexism) based on appearance.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 pm

fatduck wrote:


He was feeling mighty good with his boots on


god i love texas


What a cool way to actually wear cowboy boots without being teh douche.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:FWIW, i've actually heard the opposite about attractive women and hiring practices - that it's harder for them to get hired because employers don't want to be accused of preferential hiring (and, as an extension, sexism) based on appearance.

Based on my very limited anecdotal observations, this is definitely not the case.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 pm

A'nold wrote:
fatduck wrote:


He was feeling mighty good with his boots on


god i love texas


What a cool way to actually wear cowboy boots without being teh douche.


who ever said that?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 pm

A'nold wrote:
fatduck wrote:


He was feeling mighty good with his boots on


god i love texas


What a cool way to actually wear cowboy boots without being teh douche.



just because you work at a top law firm doesn't mean you are not a douche. in fact, i'd guess the opposite is true, especially in texas. :P

sorry for my douchetastic double post. i'm just gonna leave it

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:FWIW, i've actually heard the opposite about attractive women and hiring practices - that it's harder for them to get hired because employers don't want to be accused of preferential hiring (and, as an extension, sexism) based on appearance.

Based on my very limited anecdotal observations, this is definitely not the case.


lol. i stand corrected!!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:FWIW, i've actually heard the opposite about attractive women and hiring practices - that it's harder for them to get hired because employers don't want to be accused of preferential hiring (and, as an extension, sexism) based on appearance.

Based on my very limited anecdotal observations, this is definitely not the case.

This.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

rad law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:FWIW, i've actually heard the opposite about attractive women and hiring practices - that it's harder for them to get hired because employers don't want to be accused of preferential hiring (and, as an extension, sexism) based on appearance.

Based on my very limited anecdotal observations, this is definitely not the case.

This.


I worked at a recruiting firm, that is definitely not the case. Although, it is harder to get promoted.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I worked at a recruiting firm, that is definitely not the case. Although, it is harder to get promoted.

Depends on if you know how to play your cards right.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby RVP11 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:34 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
keg411 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
We've also had phenomenal female lawyers who have great personality, are smart, and are pleasant to look at.



New plan this summer... plastic surgery :|


FWIW, i've actually heard the opposite about attractive women and hiring practices - that it's harder for them to get hired because employers don't want to be accused of preferential hiring (and, as an extension, sexism) based on appearance.


LOL no.

Attractive people are given preference for almost everything. Welcome to Earth.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Think elitism in hiring is all a joke

Postby underdawg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:43 am

lol some chick that thinks she's smart and hot but isn't told you that




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.