Work / Life balance in secondary markets Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
duckmoney

Silver

Work / Life balance in secondary markets

Post by duckmoney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am

I've hard that billable hour requirements are lower at firms in secondary markets (ones that pay $90 - $120k / yr at the best firms). Is this true to the extent that work-life balance is significantly better, to a point to be worth the lower salary, or is it all pretty much hellish?

Disclaimer: This coming from a 0L

fatduck

Gold

Re: Work / Life balance in secondary markets

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am

i've noticed that a lot of people on this forum have duck-related usernames

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 am

I've accepted such a job and the firm seems genuine about providing a work/life balance. They encourage community involvement, family, and 8-hour days (barring deadlines or special circumstances).

Although, I guess i won't really know what it's like until I start work after the bar.

dru617

New

Post by dru617 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm

I've accepted a 2L SA position in a secondary market where "market" is between $110k and $120k. From all the research I've done and people I've talked with, the minimum billables of 1750-1800 hours are for real - no one expects anyone to bill much more than this. I even had a partner tell me that when associates have pulled 2000 hrs + in the past, the firm has sat the person down and told them to chill out.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:57 pm

I worked as a paralegal in biglaw in NYC for four years and now I'm a paralegal in Boston biglaw. The hours are seriously very different. Even though you can work as many hours in a week when you're in the smaller market, you can do things like work from home or take breaks to go home and eat with your family rather than dining in a conference room in the office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:58 pm

fatduck wrote:i've noticed that a lot of people on this forum have duck-related usernames
And I haven't even seen Mallard in here for a while.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

I too took a job in a secondary market where I will not be billing more than 1800 hours a year. Generally speaking, they're telling you the truth about work-life balance. If there's a big case, then yeah, you'll be working hard, but by and large there is a reason you don't get paid as much.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Define secondary markets? Is everything but LA and NY a secondary market? Would Houston and DFW or Seattle be considered a secondary market?

What would Boise be? A tertiary market?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:24 pm

lisjjen wrote:Define secondary markets? Is everything but LA and NY a secondary market? Would Houston and DFW or Seattle be considered a secondary market?

What would Boise be? A tertiary potato market?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 pm

bump. this is a good question

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:bump. this is a good question
Wait....did you just bump something that was just posted on about 2 minutes ago?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm

A'nold wrote:
Wait....did you just bump something that was just posted on about 2 minutes ago?
yes, yes i did.

it was 6 minutes

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:35 pm

lisjjen wrote:Define secondary markets? Is everything but LA and NY a secondary market? Would Houston and DFW or Seattle be considered a secondary market?

I've always wondered if Texas is considered a secondary market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:35 pm

Here, NY, DC, LA, and sometimes Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco are considered major markets. What's interesting is that DC, Boston, and San Francisco are smaller by population than several other markets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Metro_Areas

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 pm

quakeroats wrote:

Here, NY, DC, LA, and sometimes Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco are considered major markets. What's interesting is that DC, Boston, and San Francisco are smaller by population than several other markets:

Here? You mean at Duke but not other schools?

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:37 pm

NY, DC, LA, SF, Chicago, and those big towns in Texas are the only primary markets. Everything else is secondary.

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:

NY, DC, LA, SF, Chicago, and those big towns in Texas are the only primary markets. Everything else is secondary.

if you are billing 100-1850 hours, what does that equate to in terms of working hours per week?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:40 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Here? You mean at Duke but not other schools?
I mean on this forum.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:41 pm

bbermud wrote:
Nogameisfair wrote:

if you are billing 100-1850 hours, what does that equate to in terms of working hours per week?
It depends on how efficient you are. 2 hours billed/3 hours worked is a good approximation.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 pm

In the strictest sense, NYC and DC are the "primary markets." To this, people often add Chicago, LA, SF, Boston, Houston and DFW because there are a lot of firms there and the biggest among them tend to pay market. When people define "secondary markets" as markets with firms that don't pay 160, they're usually talking about places like ATL, Phoenix, San Antonio, Florida, San Diego, Sacramento, Seattle, etc.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Well I feel pretty confident in saying that DC and Chicago are primary markets.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

SBL wrote:

In the strictest sense, NYC and DC are the "primary markets." To this, people often add Chicago, LA, SF, Boston, Houston and DFW because there are a lot of firms there and the biggest among them tend to pay market. When people define "secondary markets" as markets with firms that don't pay 160, they're usually talking about places like ATL, Phoenix, San Antonio, Florida, San Diego, Sacramento, Seattle, etc.
I really want to move to Chicago post graduation and have not decided if Biglaw is for me yet. If didn't go Biglaw in Chicago, what sort or salary could I command granted I am not an idiot.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

bbermud wrote:
SBL wrote:

I really want to move to Chicago post graduation and have not decided if Biglaw is for me yet. If didn't go Biglaw in Chicago, what sort or salary could I command granted I am not an idiot.
what school do you or will you go to?

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:05 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bbermud wrote:
SBL wrote:

what school do you or will you go to?
I'm in at Iowa so most likely there due to in state tuition. Waiting on 6 other schools. So for argument's sake, let's just say Iowa.

UtahPhi

New

Post by UtahPhi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Jumping onto this. Where does Salt Lake rank in this sense. Would it qualify as a secondary, or more of tertiary market like the potato factory in Boise?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”