Criminal History Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TJISMYHERO

Criminal History Question

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:09 am

I'm a 0L who had to answer yes to having ever been arrested or charged with a criminal offense on my applications. I will be getting this expunged before matriculation next fall. Has anyone had an employer request law school applications as part of the application process? I would prefer to keep this minor incident away from future employers.

mala2

Re: Criminal History Question

Postby mala2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 am

from what I understand the problem is the bar and you should be honest

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:20 am

I've never heard of such thing during the employment stage.

The only time it might have an impact is when your called on to the bar

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 am

I plan on being, and have been, completely honest. Just wondering if that will extend to employers. Thanks for the responses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 am

I just finished filling out the background check form for my SA job this upcoming summer, and they ask that question. However, they say you are allowed to answer "no" if it has been expunged. No firms asked me anything like that or made me fill out any sort of form during the OCI/interviewing process. HTH.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished filling out the background check form for my SA job this upcoming summer, and they ask that question. However, they say you are allowed to answer "no" if it has been expunged. No firms asked me anything like that or made me fill out any sort of form during the OCI/interviewing process. HTH.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering.

ohhi

Postby ohhi » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 am

Never been asked. In fact, aside from submitting the usual cover letter, resume, and transcript I have never had a firm ask for anything. Even the firm which I will be working at this summer has never had me fill out a single form aside from a brief Q/A form on my summer living conditions and such (and reminding me I will need to provide proof of work eligibility when I start). I have never so much as signed a background check permission form, though they conceivably might have run one on me anyways. I do also have a minor incident from about 10 years ago that I have not had expunged and it has never come up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 am

For gov. positions (especially ones w/i the doj, e.g. USAO internships) it will come up. Though, I'm not sure the effect of expungement.

Return to “Legal Employment”