Bottom of the class: What should I do for PI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bottom of the class: What should I do for PI?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 am

Not just bottom of the class, but probably last in the class at CCN. There is absolutely, positively, no reason to believe I'm going to do better this second semester of 1L. What I'm hoping to do in spite of that is still be a prosecutor back in the midwest. I've worked in the office I want to work in before and I already have decent connections there as a result...and it's not like it's exactly a high-profile office. My question is what can I do, sans grades since a solid recovery is impossible now, to make myself palatable to an prosecutor's office with the time I have left at LS? I have an internship with a judge lined up already...but would it be better to just go to a prosecutor's office now, instead?

Just before anyone asks about dropping out, you can save it. That's not happening so you might as well not recommend it.

Curry

Re: Bottom of the class: What should I do for PI?

Postby Curry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:03 am

I see this thread going well...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 am

What did you do to end up at the bottom of the class?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 am

Work, work, work. Find dynamic job opportunities where you can grind. Basically give up on school. With minimal effort you can pass at CCN. They only give Ds and Fs to people who don't show for the exam. Make your grades an afterthought in the mind of an employer with a really busy resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:11 am

Veyron wrote:What did you do to end up at the bottom of the class?

Well, shit. It's not like I woke up before I came to law school and said, "I want to be at the bottom of the class." I'm making the assumption that a GPA below 3.0 puts me solidly in the bottom of the class and if that's so, based on my grades I'm more than a tick below that. So maybe not the last, but damn close.

Yeah, just so everyone knows, it's sucks ass to work hard and to do everything you can and still be the dumbest kid here. What I don't need, seriously, is snark right now. If you have advice, it's appreciated. If not, point and laugh so you feel better about yourselves and just move on. Don't waste my time or yours posting in such an instance.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Well, shit. It's not like I woke up before I came to law school and said, "I want to be at the bottom of the class." I'm making the assumption that a GPA below 3.0 puts me solidly in the bottom of the class and if that's so, based on my grades I'm more than a tick below that. So maybe not the last, but damn close.

Yeah, just so everyone knows, it's sucks ass to work hard and to do everything you can and still be the dumbest kid here. What I don't need, seriously, is snark right now. If you have advice, it's appreciated. If not, point and laugh so you feel better about yourselves and just move on. Don't waste my time or yours posting in such an instance.

Usually my snark is pretty transparent, in this case I'm genuinely curious. Want to know what sorts of things to avoid doing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:28 am

I feel your pain OP. First, don't give up on improving; regardless of what your goals are improved grades will always help.

As far as becoming a state prosecutor goes, you should contact them and see if you can do any sort of pro bono work during any breaks that you have. You need to get prosecutor "type" things on your resume as well: mock trial, trial ad courses, criminal procedure courses, and criminal clinics.

Network and show them that you have a true interest in prosecution. Clearly it would be better to intern at the prosecutor's office where you want to work as opposed to working for the judge. But if you've already accepted the offer it would be bad form to turn it down. Good luck and realize that your grades will not make you or break you for the career field that you're chasing.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 am

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Usually my snark is pretty transparent, in this case I'm genuinely curious. Want to know what sorts of things to avoid doing.

If that's the case, then out of respect for you not being an asshole I'll attempt to assist you. But note I can't be sure - it's not like you know for sure what you did wrong...

1. ...That is, except in the case of one my exams in which I knew what I did wrong. There's only one exam I knew I did really shitty on and that's because I didn't pace myself. They were multiple fact patterns and I focused far too long on several large ones rather than spreading myself out on all of them. I literally didn't finish it. This was, frankly, a dumbass rookie mistake that you can't afford to make.

2. There were people who didn't really start studying until the last month or month and a half of the class. Some of these people I know for a fact are headed to Law Review. No one would have thought some of these individuals would have done so but I understand how they managed to do it; they were able to relax most of the semester and just Zerg Rushed information at the end. They went crazy. And it worked. Folks who drinked every night, who had never heard of Getting to Maybe or LEEWS just blew the curve wide open because they just focused on their classes like it was the only thing that mattered during the home stretch.

Then again, there were people who formed groups from the very beginning and rocked the exam. What I'm trying to say is that...it's a sprint and there are different ways of running it. That being said, I recognized that I didn't have the same kind of stamina as some of my peers. Maybe it's because I used myself up so much during the earlier parts of the semester...I don't know. You just have to push yourself as hard as you can in those last few weeks.

3. This isn't a hint for not making whatever mistake I did. I just want to note that it's not very likely that you'll be in my position. Relax and do your best. You'll do better than me.

5. If you have the misfortune of having a personal tragedy going on during exams, you have to find a way to get through that. Don't let it distract you. No one's going to care that you were going through a difficult time or trying not to think about something like this come interview time. These exams are just too important for distractions. Deal with it.

I had outlines that were absolutely perfect from other individuals who had taken the classes before me. When I say these outlines were perfect, I mean to say that I know how the individuals who made those outlines performed on their exams. I also noted that they had pretty much everyting that was in the class. I editted those outlines to suit my own style when necessary and added my own notes. Before anyone starts wondering, no, this isn't the reason why I did terrible. A number of those people I noted before who did extremely well used the exact same outlines rather than creating their own.

That gets to a point that needs to be understood - don't buy into the stress of how important an outline is. I did a good amount of practice exams before I did the real thing, but I shouldn't have acted like using one of these exams before my outlines were complete was akin to cutting off an arm. You've got to get used to these exams as quickly as possible. I would eagerly exchange some of the time I dedicated for outlines to taking even more practice exams.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 am

If the judge does criminal work, then you should stay there, especially since with your grades it'll be difficult to work for a judge in the future (congrats on pulling that one, I was under the impression judges cared more about grades than anything else). If the judge only does civil matters, and you can back out of the internship, it can't hurt to look for a prosecutor internship, for no other reason than it's more in line with your end goals.

The main thing is though to really work at getting a good semester (or 3 semesters, if you're a 2L) of grades under your belt, so you can show future employers that you improved and your GPA is not representative of your work ethic. I'm not even saying As or bust -- if you can get a semester of all Bs and B+s, that would seemingly be a vast improvement and would show a strong upward trend.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 am

I think the judicial internship is still the smart move for this summer. If you only are doing it for part of the summer, then I would say try and intern at the prosecutor's office the other half. Other than that, probably do stuff like mock trial and any criminal defense type clinics at your school to get practical experience in criminal-style stuff. If there's a secondary crim law journal, try and write onto that, too. I think you're not in an awful position since you already have personal connections with the office you want to work at. You're not in an ideal position by any stretch, but it's not gloom and doom. I believe in you, OP. I'm going to send positive energy your way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:01 am

Thank you for your well wishes. I was surprised that the Judge was willing to take me as well. To be fair...he did before/without seeing my grades and my resume was "impressive" to him due to my work at the prosecutor's office and other work I had done.

I do not mean to be a pessimist, but if I had a rule that I could tell 0L's it would be thus; don't go to any school that you wouldn't be comfortable being below median at. My pride is pretty wounded and I know that a lot of doors are closed to me - but things might be much worse had I not been able to attend this school.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:44 am

Given that you're posting at least three states away from CCN right now, I'm not surprised you're last in your class.

Return to “Legal Employment”