How would you handle these interview questions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Re: How would you handle these interview questions?

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 pm

dr123 wrote:What about boutique firms? or are those considered mid law?

They are in a category of their own. I tend to rate firms based on pay, not size. However, I suppose that boutique firms in general have worse exit options than biglaw, though certainly not as bad as smallaw.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Veyron wrote:Even ITE, I don't know anyone taking smallaw who could get biglaw or midlaw.

Edit: Besides, how do you jump ship for more $. Usually the only way you can jump is down or sideways.

Small and mid law firms all pay differently. An associate can move to a different firm for slightly higher pay. I've never known anyone to move from one small or mid sized firm for lower pay... (quite the opposite). I knew some people who took small law and later interviewed with biglaw and moved to other jobs (usually government).

I think ITE, there were (are) plenty of people who could get biglaw/midlaw who ended up in small law. They interviewed with plenty of biglaw, and biglaw chose some people with lower grades. It happens at every school--some smart people just don't interview well or don't apply broadly enough. They end up missing the biglaw train.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 pm

ggocat wrote:
Veyron wrote:Even ITE, I don't know anyone taking smallaw who could get biglaw or midlaw.

Edit: Besides, how do you jump ship for more $. Usually the only way you can jump is down or sideways.

Small and mid law firms all pay differently. An associate can move to a different firm for slightly higher pay. I've never known anyone to move from one small or mid sized firm for lower pay... (quite the opposite). I knew some people who took small law and later interviewed with biglaw and moved to other jobs (usually government).

I think ITE, there were (are) plenty of people who could get biglaw/midlaw who ended up in small law. They interviewed with plenty of biglaw, and biglaw chose some people with lower grades. It happens at every school--some smart people just don't interview well or don't apply broadly enough. They end up missing the biglaw train.

And hence, they could not get biglaw - as you said, being biglaw material isn't all about grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”