Thank you notes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PirateCap'n

Thank you notes

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:16 pm

I've already decided on emailing my "thank you" notes (because I have exceptionally horrible handwriting). I met with probably a dozen attorneys plus the office manager. The office manager set up the meetings and was really my "go to" person for the whole thing, and a couple of the attorneys really spoke to me and dealt with me more than the others (one took me to lunch). Question is this: would it be appropriate to email the office manager to thank her and ask her to extend my thank yous while at the same time emailing the two attorneys that I dealt with and thanking them too (this is my preference), or should I just email the office manager and leave it at that?

PirateCap'n

Re: Thank you notes

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am

One bump.

non sequitur

Postby non sequitur » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I would thank as many relevant people as possible. Doing so cannot hurt your chances.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147300

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83411

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=145269

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147434

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=131810

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=131251

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129977

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=128082

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=127394

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126205

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125697

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104875

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147224

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=86240

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125574

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83963

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83151

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=86561

Consensus is that there's no consensus.

Here's a direct quote from our career service's office (yours, undoubtedly, has a different opinion):

Thank you notes: Many of you have asked about thank you notes . . . Thank yous after callbacks are a nice touch, but you should only do them if you can be sure that they will be absolutely perfect. Thus, if you don't have the time or focus to devote to them, skip them. Many recruiters and hiring partners think they are a bad idea because of the high rate of mistakes. If you do them, the rule is to send to everyone that you touch in the process. Each should be different. Handwritten or electronic are both fine.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Thank you notes: Many of you have asked about thank you notes . . . Thank yous after callbacks are a nice touch, but you should only do them if you can be sure that they will be absolutely perfect. Thus, if you don't have the time or focus to devote to them, skip them. Many recruiters and hiring partners think they are a bad idea because of the high rate of mistakes. If you do them, the rule is to send to everyone that you touch in the process. Each should be different. Handwritten or electronic are both fine.

lulz

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

thesealocust wrote:Consensus is that there's no consensus.

Here's a direct quote from our career service's office (yours, undoubtedly, has a different opinion):

Yeah. I had actually searched for it before, but I think mine was a bit more specific than most of the ones I had found. I know there's really no consensus, but I just didn't want to irk the folks that I didn't thank individually if I thanked some individually and others through the office manager.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Saying thank you to the office manager is fine if they were overly accommodating in the process, but I'd advise against it for the attorneys unless you have something to say to them. That you were really impressed with the firm and liked what you saw is not surprising.

For example, the one time I emailed a thank you to an attorney from a call back resulted from a conversation about classes his kids should take at my undergrad school; I emailed him an updated list with course numbers and thanked him for his time. I did not email any of the other attorneys.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 pm

I had a similar situation where I had a primary contact (one of the partners) but interviewed with about 12 attorneys during my second interview. I just emailed the primary contact and asked him to extend my thanks to his partners and the other attorneys I met with.

I got the job. So, whatever that means.

Return to “Legal Employment”