Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     Forum Archives     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Post new topic Anonymous post new topic Reply to topic Anonymous reply to topic   [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Federal Government Jobs and Official Transcript
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

So my school takes a week+ to process official transcripts and I've heard federal government jobs extend offers that last <1 week. I just want to know if I should be requesting multiple official transcripts in advance (so I can send original paper copies if needed) or if unofficial transcripts or a digital copy of one official transcript will do.

Post subject: Re: Federal Government Jobs and Official Transcript
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm 

It doesn't hurt to have some official copies of your transcripts at your disposal. A week+ is a long time for them to get you a copy of your transcript--do you know this is how long from experience? Also, if the Fed Gov is offering you a job it probably isn't contingent on you giving them a transcript within a week. You're going to be undergoing background checks that will last at least that long.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:32 pm 
Modship is Magic

Nicholas Nickleby wrote:
Also, if the Fed Gov is offering you a job it probably isn't contingent on you giving them a transcript within a week. You're going to be undergoing background checks that will last at least that long.

I'll agree with this, to the extent that I doubt they'll offer you and then demand a transcript within a week. However, if you applied before spring grades came out and haven't yet updated them with a transcript, you should send them one now as an update. They may want a copy of a transcript before they make an offer. (Plus, this is a great way to follow up and remind them you're still interested.)

In my experience, unofficial transcripts are acceptable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:41 pm 

Nicholas Nickleby wrote:
It doesn't hurt to have some official copies of your transcripts at your disposal. A week+ is a long time for them to get you a copy of your transcript--do you know this is how long from experience? Also, if the Fed Gov is offering you a job it probably isn't contingent on you giving them a transcript within a week. You're going to be undergoing background checks that will last at least that long.

Will it even be necessary to send an official transcript then if they just do background checks? I assume they'll request authorization to get my grades on my behalf, among other things.

And yes, they require 5 business days to process transcripts. Ridiculous. And charge $10 for each one. Hence why I'd like to minimize ordering unnecessary copies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 pm 

Anonymous User wrote:
Nicholas Nickleby wrote:

Will it even be necessary to send an official transcript then if they just do background checks? I assume they'll request authorization to get my grades on my behalf, among other things.

And yes, they require 5 business days to process transcripts. Ridiculous. And charge $10 for each one. Hence why I'd like to minimize ordering unnecessary copies.

I'm not sure which job you're talking about, so I can't be sure. I don't think a background check will reveal your grades though, if that's what you're asking. I do know that the gov jobs I'm looking at are most interested in your transcripts for summer positions. Honors programs allow unofficial transcripts. Run of the mill attorney adviser positions don't seem to want transcripts at all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:47 pm 

Nicholas Nickleby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nicholas Nickleby wrote:

I'm not sure which job you're talking about, so I can't be sure. I don't think a background check will reveal your grades though, if that's what you're asking. I do know that the gov jobs I'm looking at are most interested in your transcripts for summer positions. Honors programs allow unofficial transcripts. Run of the mill attorney adviser positions don't seem to want transcripts at all.

All right, thanks. I guess I'll hold off on ordering any copies and just wait.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 pm 

I've never had anyone ask for official transcripts.

Post new topic Anonymous post new topic Reply to topic Anonymous reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]