Mass Mailing Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey guys. The regulars around here will probably guess who I am and that is just fine.

I go to a mid t1 school in a very sought after secondary market where this school is the best school by a long shot for a very large geographical area. I was a transfer and I missed OCI. My grades at my new school most likely put me into the top 5% of the class.

I decided to mass mail quite a few big, mid, and small law firms in multiple states where my school feeds into. The day after I sent my first batch, I got an interview with a small firm that seems a little sketch. The second day I got an interview with what seems like a very reputable and solid small firm. Both firms seem to be made up of graduates from lower ranked schools and few if any have any honors credentials. The second firm, however, is made up of older folks so they graduated back before the USNWR got its stronghold where people could just go wherever and hang a shingle or work for a local small firm.

Anyway.......these interviews are next week. Do you think the quickness of these two responses is a good sign that firms are impressed by my creds? If not, do you think that the firms are bottom of the barrel or something? Finally, and more importantly, does getting two interviews in the two days after mailing mean that more good news is likely to come and that I should hold off on committing until I hear back from more firms? Thanks. :)

patrickd139

Re: Mass Mailing Question

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:15 pm

First, congrats on your success. If this is who I think it is, well done!

Quickness of response could mean either of the options you mentioned, or that they just now started their hiring process and liked you. All three of those scenarios can be spun in your favor.

ITE, it's impossible to predict future job prospects or interview prospects, but you're one of the few success stories I hear about from mass-mailings. That's a plus.

Finally, not to be a debbie downer, but holding off on commitments is kind of putting the cart before the horse at this point. I did 14 CBs and netted 2 offers, both for the first half of the summer (so really 1 offer, haha). As a general rule, don't 'settle' for a place you don't see yourself possibly working at long-term, if you've got viable, legitimate options at places you would.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

patrickd139 wrote:First, congrats on your success. If this is who I think it is, well done!

Quickness of response could mean either of the options you mentioned, or that they just now started their hiring process and liked you. All three of those scenarios can be spun in your favor.

ITE, it's impossible to predict future job prospects or interview prospects, but you're one of the few success stories I hear about from mass-mailings. That's a plus.

Finally, not to be a debbie downer, but holding off on commitments is kind of putting the cart before the horse at this point. I did 14 CBs and netted 2 offers, both for the first half of the summer (so really 1 offer, haha). As a general rule, don't 'settle' for a place you don't see yourself possibly working at long-term, if you've got viable, legitimate options at places you would.

Thanks! Yeah, you're right about the "cart before the horse" thing, haha.

Return to “Legal Employment”