taking classes pass/fail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

taking classes pass/fail

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm taking 13 credits right now and am considering taking a 4 credit class pass/fail. Does anyone know how employers view this? I have a job for the summer but I'll be looking for a job and/or clerkship next year.

XxSpyKEx

Re: taking classes pass/fail

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm taking 13 credits right now and am considering taking a 4 credit class pass/fail. Does anyone know how employers view this? I have a job for the summer but I'll be looking for a job and/or clerkship next year.

For clerkships, it depends on how many courses you took pass/fail last semester and your courseloads (including how many credits per semester are typical at your school, what class you are pass/failing, and what the rest of your courses look like). For example, if you have 13 credits this semester with one doctrinal course that you are pass/failing and the rest are seminars and courses outside of the law school (e.g. phylosphy courses), then that's definetely going to be viewed negatively by judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm taking 13 credits- 2 doctrinal courses, a seminar, and trial ad....I'm thinking of taking trial ad pass/fail. I haven't taken any classes pass/fail yet.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm taking 13 credits- 2 doctrinal courses, a seminar, and trial ad....I'm thinking of taking trial ad pass/fail. I haven't taken any classes pass/fail yet.

Do it... Trial ad is automatically graded pass/fail at my school. I doubt any judges will second guess you if that's the only class you took pass/fail your entire 2nd year with the rest of your courseload the way it is.

Return to “Legal Employment”