Realistic Expectation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nepa

Realistic Expectation

Postby nepa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm

What is a realistic expectation for a summer job for a 1L at a T2 at top 1/4 of class? I have plastered small firms in my home town without any responses. I have called/emailed/sent in application materials to a ton of firms ranging in size from 1-40 attorneys. The school places well in the the areas surrounding my home. I am willing to work for free. I just don't understand why I am not even being rejected?

Wholigan

Re: Realistic Expectation

Postby Wholigan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Have you tried judges? Government agencies? Targeted any PI groups? It seems like you are applying mostly to firms, and they are going to assume you are applying for a paying job unless you explicitly say otherwise. Some firms won't even hire unpaid interns as a rule. Did you send out your letters before you got your grades? If so, they don't know you're top 1/4.

nepa

Postby nepa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 pm

I did apply to the state AG office (local branch). When you say government agencies, what in particular are you speaking of?? DAs office, PDs??? I did not apply to judges as I thought they were reserved for the top of the class; however, I do know someone who contacted the local courts and were told the judges were not hiring any one this year.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:05 pm

u shoulda have mail bombed every judge in the state ur from (fed cir, dist, magistrate, state supreme, appeals, etc). too late noa. only viable option at this point is prolly RA with one of ur profs.

nepa

Postby nepa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Is it appropriate to follow up with all the places that have not got back to me? If so, should I send a letter, email, or phone call?

dood

Postby dood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:30 pm

nepa wrote:Is it appropriate to follow up with all the places that have not got back to me? If so, should I send a letter, email, or phone call?

email or phone call depending how familiar u are with the places and people. or u can always email first, wait until they dont email u back and then call.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:27 pm

dood wrote:u shoulda have mail bombed every judge in the state ur from (fed cir, dist, magistrate, state supreme, appeals, etc). too late noa. only viable option at this point is prolly RA with one of ur profs.

Not too late for many state courts / small firms / DA's / PD's / etc. Too late for big firms / federal courts / federal agencies / etc.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm

I had this same experience. No one even bothered to respond to me. It only takes one though. The best firm for me hired me and it was my only interview. Keep your head up. Also, now that I am a 2L and applying places I am getting a lot more responses.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Don't think it's too late for some federal district judges. Got a letter from a magistrate judge in a smaller district saying that he won't be making any decisions about who to interview until March...definitely not too late for state trial court judges.

Return to “Legal Employment”