school's in house clinic for summer internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bogart

school's in house clinic for summer internship

Postby bogart » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:13 pm

2L looking to get into DA's office in a small market. Currently on the waiting list for a summer internship with the office, but with the market being so shitty many students are not leaving their internships and just staying put. My logic is that my schools defense clinc would provide me with criminal experience and would also boost my gpa as mostly everyone who does it gets an "A". Not sure how it would be percieved though; is a criminal clinic better than taking an internship with a small firm that does not do criminal? Thanks for any help.

Renzo

Re: school's in house clinic for summer internship

Postby Renzo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 pm

If criminal work is really what you want, that's probably a pretty good option. The downside is that you'll be giving up any opportunity to work someplace that might turn into a permanent offer, but it kind of sounds as if you've exhausted those options already. If you don't have something that might turn into a permanent gig, doing something like this, to prove your commitment to a specific field, is a good way to set yourself up to hit the post-graduation job market.

bogart

Re: school's in house clinic for summer internship

Postby bogart » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess my biggest concern with the clinic is that it would be looked down upon by other firms if I don't go with the DA's office. Since a summer associate position is out of the question, does it really matter if its a clinic, as long as its at least law related?

Return to “Legal Employment”