Flat out asking for an interview despite grades...how bad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Flat out asking for an interview despite grades...how bad?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:51 am

I sent out a lot of resumes to firms and naturally they're asking for grades. Honestly my grades aren't great...and they're not horrible either...lets say median at a T6 school. Well i've noticed that when I send these mediocre grades I get no response (naturally)...
My question is not will it be effective but will it be taboo or looked down upon heavily if I respond to the next request for grades with something like here are my grades but please allow me to speak to someone in order to show the person behind the letters...obviously worded more professional....thoughts? i'm feeling desperate

Anonymous User

Re: Flat out asking for an interview despite grades...how bad?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:01 am

That just won't be effective. Work on your resume and cover letter instead. Those documents are how you "show the person behind the letters."

seriousstudenttt

New

Post by seriousstudenttt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That just won't be effective. Work on your resume and cover letter grades instead. Those documents are how you "show the person behind the letters
fixed that for ya

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

seriousstudenttt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That just won't be effective. Work on your resume and cover letter grades instead. Those documents are how you "show the person behind the letters
fixed that for ya
dumb comment

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Sounds like you should mass mail firms, maybe you are shooting too high?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 pm

1L or 2L? What kinds of firms?

In any case, no. Don't beg, that won't work. You need to give them a reason to want to interview you, and pointing out you have mediocre grades is not the way to do that.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:44 pm

In the future, send out a writing sample with your stuff and make it SOLID. It doesn't make up for bad grades, but it might help. I got an interview and was told it was because of the quality of the 5 page sample.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Cupidity wrote:In the future, send out a writing sample with your stuff and make it SOLID. It doesn't make up for bad grades, but it might help. I got an interview and was told it was because of the quality of the 5 page sample.
This is what I mean. A really good writing sample is a good reason to interview someone. A really compelling cover letter could do it, or an interesting resume. You gotta find what your strength is, and play to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”