Biglaw Summer - Start Date Conflict

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Summer - Start Date Conflict

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:34 pm

My summer program starts on the Monday May 16th, but my last exam is on the 17th. Does anyone else have this type of problem? How should I gingerly tell my firm that I'd like to work (and get paid) for at least part of the first week?

sullidop

Re: Biglaw Summer - Start Date Conflict

Postby sullidop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Jesus that's early. Just tell the recruiting person that you have a final the next day. Happens sometimes, not a big deal. You will, of course, miss a cocktail party.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Man, with a 10-week summer, you'd be done on 7/22. That seems really early and I bet others are in the same boat as you. May want to ask if you can begin 5/23 and end 7/29...if its a 12-week summer, just tell them and miss a few days, they won't care since it's because of an exam.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My summer program starts on the Monday May 16th, but my last exam is on the 17th. Does anyone else have this type of problem? How should I gingerly tell my firm that I'd like to work (and get paid) for at least part of the first week?

I'm assuming you're going to the same firm as I am since your start date is the same and the email was sent out firm-wide today. They know that it's early and that not all schools will be finished by then. Everyone in my office from my school has to miss the whole first week :( Just let them know ASAP. I'm sure they will understand and would probably be glad to have you there for some of the first week instead of none of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”