For credit externships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
daesonesb

For credit externships

Postby daesonesb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 pm

How do employers look upon summer internships vs. full time fall or spring externships? Is there less prestige to the externship, because it's during the school year and unpaid? If so, how vast is the difference.

1L's and 0L's need not answer, unless you some inside knowledge of hiring at firms/government.

By externships, I mean with a government entity like the SEC, Att. Gen, or something of the like. Also, for people who externed the fall of their 2L year: Did you get a chance to go back and take part in OCI? Do you feel it limited your networking for 2L summer jobs?

Renzo

Re: For credit externships

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 pm

What craziness are you planning? Because it's quite common for people to do term-time internships, and have a summer job/internship. They're not usually either/or.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Renzo wrote:What craziness are you planning? Because it's quite common for people to do term-time internships, and have a summer job/internship. They're not usually either/or.

haha, no I plan to get a summer job too. I'm just in talks with some better places about externing during next year, and I dont want to be too excited about it if these things dont mean anything.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Same as your 1L summer job, it's mostly just something to talk about in interviews, and maybe a way to fill out your resume if you don't have much pre law school work experience. I'd be excited, because a good extership will teach you a million percent more about how to be a lawyer than law school, but it's not really going to dazzle any hiring managers/interviewers.

Return to “Legal Employment”