clerkship: profs who will make calls for you

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

clerkship: profs who will make calls for you

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 am

Do you ask the prof to make a call for you or do they volunteer?
Also, are they usually willing to make more than one call or will only call your first choice?

Anonymous User

Re: clerkship: profs who will make calls for you

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 am

Also curious about this. I've got two professors who will write me letters, and I know them reasonably well (office hours, RA, etc), but have no idea if they call. I know that for borderline applicants like me, a call will be huge, but I don't know whether to ask about calls or what have you.

jonas

Postby jonas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 pm

1) Talk to alumni who are clerking or have clerked. (Ideally, track down alumni who had your same professors as recommenders.) Find out whether they asked the professors to make calls or the professors volunteered.

2) Go to the professors' office hours and ask directly (politely, unassumingly): "Would you be willing to call [Judge X] on my behalf?" They may ask you for the names of a few judges whom you're particularly interested in/think you have a shot at.

PriyaRai

Postby PriyaRai » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:54 pm

I am thinking that I am definitely going to utilize this tactic. I bet that not enough people take advantage of it.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 pm

PriyaRai wrote:I am thinking that I am definitely going to utilize this tactic. I bet that not enough people take advantage of it.

I think you vastly underestimate how bad people want clerkships.

Return to “Legal Employment”