Summer 2011: USAO v. dream summer job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer 2011: USAO v. dream summer job

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 am

Here's the situation I'm in. I accepted a summer position with a prestigious USAO office. I accepted the position before grades came out and because they gave me a Feb 1st deadline. However, today I received an phone call to interview for a company/organization that I would LOVE to work for upon graduation. It's a very niche practice area and a very difficult to work for this company/organization full-time after graduation. I think getting my self out there now and meeting people there would be a huge leg up. Based on my experience, interviewing skills, and other factors I definitely think I can land this job after the interview. However, I already accepted the USAO position and it would be wrong to go back on my word especially if I want to leave the possibility open of working there in 5-8years. Also, the other job pays 3x as much as the USAO does for the summer. So what should I do?

a) Decline the interview. Ask the company if I can intern there during the fall/spring semester next year for credit.
b) Go for the interview so that I can meet the interviewer face-to-face and establish a good demeanor. Then later turn down the position and ask the company if I can intern there during the fall/spring semester next year.
c) Go to the interview and hopefully land the job and then decline the USAO offer even though I accepted it.

I really want this job at this other company/organization. It is essentially my dream to work for this company/organization after graduation or sometime in my life. My second dream job would be working for the USAO.

UnitarySpace

Re: Summer 2011: USAO v. dream summer job

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 am

Since you've accepted the offer, it would be EXTREMELY bad manner to rescind it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:30 am

So would it be wrong to do choice B, that's what I'm leaning toward.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:33 am

I was in a similar situation. Received an offer from a great organization, then get an interview offer with my dream job. Unfortunately, my dream job and I could not work out an offer for the summer before my deadline for the other offer. I accepted the original offer for the summer, and now I am working with my dream job to set up a full-term externship for next Spring.

In the end, it seems like it will actually work out better this way as I will get to spend my summer doing something I love, and next Spring working with my dream employer as probably the sole student employee.

If they are your dream employer, try to work something out with them. But be honest and upfront in your dealings with them. DO NOT act as if you have not already accepted the other offer. I doubt either the USAO or your dream employer would want someone with that questionable of integrity.

Return to “Legal Employment”