Transcripts and 1L SA Patent Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transcripts and 1L SA Patent Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 pm

I have an interview for a biglaw firm coming up. It's related to patent prosecution, so they want my ugrad transcript sent in before my interview. I have a ~3.0-3.3 GPA in my degree, which I already disclosed on my resume. The problem is my transcript includes my previous failed major in which I had two Ds and an F. The overall GPA if you count the courses for the previous major (engineering) is like a 2.7-2.8. Obviously I don't have a choice in giving them the transcript, but I just want to brace myself for the possible fallout when I do submit. Here are my questions:

1) Will they retract my interview after seeing those grades?
2) If they don't, how much grilling can I expect about my transcript at the interview?
3) Should I send them the original transcript AND a clearly marked, truncated transcript with just the courses relevant for my final degree?

If you're curious as to what qualified me for an interview in the first place: I earned a 3.8 GPA for Fall semester, had a little relevant WE, and have a bachelor's degree in a science major that's apparently scarce amongst current law students.

helloperson

Re: Transcripts and 1L SA Patent Interviews

Postby helloperson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:55 am

Can I ask which major and what school you're at now?

This is relevant to my interests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview for a biglaw firm coming up. It's related to patent prosecution, so they want my ugrad transcript sent in before my interview. I have a ~3.0-3.3 GPA in my degree, which I already disclosed on my resume. The problem is my transcript includes my previous failed major in which I had two Ds and an F. The overall GPA if you count the courses for the previous major (engineering) is like a 2.7-2.8. Obviously I don't have a choice in giving them the transcript, but I just want to brace myself for the possible fallout when I do submit. Here are my questions:

1) Will they retract my interview after seeing those grades?
2) If they don't, how much grilling can I expect about my transcript at the interview?
3) Should I send them the original transcript AND a clearly marked, truncated transcript with just the courses relevant for my final degree?

If you're curious as to what qualified me for an interview in the first place: I earned a 3.8 GPA for Fall semester, had a little relevant WE, and have a bachelor's degree in a science major that's apparently scarce amongst current law students.

FWIW I have a D- and a few C's on my ug transcript. i ended up w/a 3.4 so not too bad. but i also have several years of industry exp. i can't say for sure how this has affected me so far - I got dinged after a CB w/a large firm and i have another screening interview coming up w/a small IP boutique.

IMO, grilling would be a good thing b/c it would give you a chance to justify your bad grades. i think the truncated transcript is a good idea.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:04 am

tough call bro.

questions - on ur resume, did u write "3.2 Major GPA" or did u just write "3.2 GPA" and leave them to guess? (im assuming u didn't write what u should have on ur resume: "3.2 Major GPA/2.8 Cumulative GPA")

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 pm

The roadblock I'm facing in finding a 1L patent prosecution firm job is my bachelor's. Apparently I have to compete with a bunch of PhDs around me (Bay Area). One big firm is "reconsidering" me because I did send a heartfelt response to her rejection email, but I don't know how I can convince the recruiter to at least give me a chance to interview. My classmate with a PhD already got an interview there, but I sent in the application a month before her. I've been sending the recruiter emails every 2 weeks (and actually met her in person last month). Can I also update the recruiter a resume that is better worded?

truevines

Postby truevines » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The roadblock I'm facing in finding a 1L patent prosecution firm job is my bachelor's. Apparently I have to compete with a bunch of PhDs around me (Bay Area). One big firm is "reconsidering" me because I did send a heartfelt response to her rejection email, but I don't know how I can convince the recruiter to at least give me a chance to interview. My classmate with a PhD already got an interview there, but I sent in the application a month before her. I've been sending the recruiter emails every 2 weeks (and actually met her in person last month). Can I also update the recruiter a resume that is better worded?

What kind of undergrad major do you have? If it's EE, a Ph. D. degree hardly make any difference. But if it's bio/chem, a Ph. D. degree seems to be a requirement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 pm

As the above mentioned, the type of UG degree is the most determinative aspect in patent prosecution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:11 am

truevines wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The roadblock I'm facing in finding a 1L patent prosecution firm job is my bachelor's. Apparently I have to compete with a bunch of PhDs around me (Bay Area). One big firm is "reconsidering" me because I did send a heartfelt response to her rejection email, but I don't know how I can convince the recruiter to at least give me a chance to interview. My classmate with a PhD already got an interview there, but I sent in the application a month before her. I've been sending the recruiter emails every 2 weeks (and actually met her in person last month). Can I also update the recruiter a resume that is better worded?

What kind of undergrad major do you have? If it's EE, a Ph. D. degree hardly make any difference. But if it's bio/chem, a Ph. D. degree seems to be a requirement.

I have a bioengineering degree, which encompassed other disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, and chemical. I also have some experience in molecular biology, electrical/biomedical engineering and cell biology. I would like to get into medical devices (which BSs can enter into, apparently), life sciences (where PhDs seem to dominate) or clean technology (which I have yet to do thorough research on--any guidance here would be appreciated). With the broad exposure I had before law school, I feel like I'm in limbo, not enough education for life sciences, but without a definite focus for non-life science areas. Though one attorney did tell me his biomedical engineering degree was marketable.

At this point, my classmates doing public interest are getting interviews left and right, and I've only done a mock interview. I want to continue inquiring into that big firm recruiter, but I don't want to seem bothersome or desperate. I will start looking into small and midsize firms or in-house, which I hope are less competitive. Or just be a LWR/moot court assistant. I think the dept is still hiring...

truevines

Postby truevines » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
truevines wrote:

I have a bioengineering degree, which encompassed other disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, and chemical. I also have some experience in molecular biology, electrical/biomedical engineering and cell biology. I would like to get into medical devices (which BSs can enter into, apparently), life sciences (where PhDs seem to dominate) or clean technology (which I have yet to do thorough research on--any guidance here would be appreciated). With the broad exposure I had before law school, I feel like I'm in limbo, not enough education for life sciences, but without a definite focus for non-life science areas. Though one attorney did tell me his biomedical engineering degree was marketable.

Unfortunately, BioE is not that marketable; especially you only have a BS in BioE.

As far as I know, medical device practice is mainly limited to EE or ME people. A BS in BioE hardly gives you an edge in this field.

Clean tech is the synonym of chemistry to me, which prolly requires Ph. D. degrees.

You should start looking for other internships, like unpaid PI internships. Meanwhile, work on your grades and get into patent prosecution in OCI through your 1L grades.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:29 am

For what I call "hybrid-specialized" degrees (i.e. specialized non-traditional stuff that involves a conglomerate of multiple fields) such as bioengineering, biomedical engineering, materials science, systems engineering, information science, etc., your marketability will vary depending on whether your field matches the clients of the firm you're interviewing with.

If you're interviewing for bioscience, you're only as good as a bio major.

If you're interviewing with a firm with a lot of medical device clients, you can stand out well.

Not all biotech/chemistry require PhDs. I'd say that only 75% of biotech positions requires PhD, and only 15% of non-bio-focused chemistry requires PhD. However, if PhD isn't required, that doesn't mean a masters isn't required.

Again, patent prosecution depends on the type of clients the firm is working with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
truevines wrote:

At this point, my classmates doing public interest are getting interviews left and right, and I've only done a mock interview. I want to continue inquiring into that big firm recruiter, but I don't want to seem bothersome or desperate. I will start looking into small and midsize firms or in-house, which I hope are less competitive. Or just be a LWR/moot court assistant. I think the dept is still hiring...

The Bay Area patent prosecution SA positions, even for 2Ls let alone 1Ls, are very difficult to obtain right now because of the shift of work from large/medium firms to small firms who don't hire summer associates. I have an extensive EE background and strong ties to the Bay Area (including law school) and couldn't even get an interview in the Bay Area for patent prosecution for 1L or 2L summers. Be sure to apply to other geographic regions. That's what I did and it was very easy to get interviews.

It seems strange that firms in other regions are willing to fly you out, interview you and provide an offer yet Bay Area firms won't even give you an interview, but that's how it is right now. Be flexible.

Also, it's kind of early to be freaking out right now. It's only February. Most people don't get internships until much later, especially with in-house positions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:09 pm

This is the OP reporting back in.

The big law firm cancelled my interview after my full undergraduate transcript came in.

Pro-tip for future candidates: unless your degree is a low 3 by virtue of you being a sperglord with As in your science courses and Cs in your non-science courses, don't bother. I'm starting to think that when OCI rolls around next year I might be better off just bidding on typical corporate big law stuff instead of patent prosecution. Anybody have experience going for non-patent positions with a science background?

Return to “Legal Employment”