1L Summer: State Supreme Court Chief Justice or Fed Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How to spend the summer:

Full time with Federal Judge
47%
Full time with State Supreme Court Chief Justice
20%
Split summer
20%
Neither and get handicap below a 10 & tan
13%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

1L Summer: State Supreme Court Chief Justice or Fed Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Accepted job with federal district court judge, then offered job with chief justice of a state's supreme court (think IN/KY/OH/MI). Fed judge is in major district, is known as a star, is young and we really hit it off. Chief Justice is really well respected. State supreme court is not in state i want to practice in, fed judge is in city i want to practice in. t25, top 10%, 4 years very good WE which got me the interviews.

Fed judge mentioned I could split the summer with a firm, I felt like id rather have just stayed with him all summer to make a good impression and do cool work. now im wondering if i should split with the state supreme ct. want to clerk post-law school and do biglaw next summer.

thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Re: 1L Summer: State Supreme Court Chief Justice or Fed Judge

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Fed judge is respected and in the city you want to practice in. Stay there for the summer. Problem solved.

D-ROCCA

Re: 1L Summer: State Supreme Court Chief Justice or Fed Judge

Postby D-ROCCA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Good problem to have. If you are really serious about clerking, I'd try to build as good of a relationship with the federal judge as possible, so you can leverage that for possible district or COA clerkships after graduation.
How about making a poll?

Return to “Legal Employment”