Ask to be reimbursed to visit firm after accepting offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask to be reimbursed to visit firm after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Can I do this without sinking my chances of an offer this summer?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Ask to be reimbursed to visit firm after accepting offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I do this without sinking my offer?

How substantial is the reimbursement? And unless you cannot live without the reimbursement, don't ask for it.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 pm

How far and how much?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How substantial is the reimbursement? And unless you cannot live without the reimbursement, don't ask for it.

3-600 bucks depending on whether I request coverage of the hotel.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does the firm job pay?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:54 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does the firm job pay?

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I'd be sketched out by a firm that wouldn't reimburse you for interview related expenses. That is standard in the private sector (not only law firms).

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd be sketched out by a firm that wouldn't reimburse you for interview related expenses. That is standard in the private sector (not only law firms).

Part of me agrees with that. But the other part of me thinks that, especially ITE, I would not risk losing thousands of dollars for a few hundred bucks.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Confused.

Are you trying to get reimbursed for costs incurred for an interview or have you accepted an offer, and just want to visit?

I visited a firm after I accepted, and they paid my costs. Didn't have to ask, They just gave me the NALP forms. If they are NALP, you really shouldn't have to ask in either scenario. Just save your receipts and send in the forms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Confused.

Are you trying to get reimbursed for costs incurred for an interview or have you accepted an offer, and just want to visit?

I visited a firm after I accepted, and they paid my costs. Didn't have to ask, They just gave me the NALP forms. If they are NALP, you really shouldn't have to ask in either scenario. Just save your receipts and send in the forms.

I have a summer position with them and would like them to pay for me to come visit. There is a game in town that I'd really like to see.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am

They won't care a bit. It's a drop in the bucket compared even to what you'll make working there this summer, and they don't want to look like cheap asses.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 am

Last edited by dr123 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 am

Would they be sketched out if I visited them Friday and my receipt showed that I came in Wednesday and left Monday?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Would they be sketched out if I visited them Friday and my receipt showed that I came in Wednesday and left Monday?

No. Only bill expenses for the day of the visit and for travel. One day hotel.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes they would be. Why would you do that? Don't try to piggy back a visit into your plans to go watch a game. That isn't very smart. LOL really who do you think you are that the firm is gonna bank roll a six day hotel stay and meals for you?

If you're going for the game, go for the game. The visit to the firm is only incidental. Don't try to make them pay for even one day of that visit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes they would be. Why would you do that? Don't try to piggy back a visit into your plans to go watch a game. That isn't very smart. LOL really who do you think you are that the firm is gonna bank roll a six day hotel stay and meals for you?

If you're going for the game, go for the game. The visit to the firm is only incidental. Don't try to make them pay for even one day of that visit.

I always planned to pay for my own meals and stay. I'm just wondering if they would pay for travel. There's no cost difference if I stay one day or six.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 pm

I want to be on the record as saying this is the worst idea ever.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Why risk it?

Your maximum possible gain is $300-$600. Your maximum possible loss is not only your job this summer, but your chance to receive a post-graduation offer of employment. Do you realize how bad things are for people who didn't find jobs at OCI?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Renzo wrote:I want to be on the record as saying this is the worst idea ever.

Once I read OP's purpose I definitely did a face palm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:25 pm

If the answer isn't clear to you, I think the answer is not to do it. The firm I visited was very clear about covering travel and hotel expenses. I filled out their NALP form, but they had missed covering my travel expenses (it included a rate to be filled in per mile, I had already asked about this rate and they said they would take care of it). I called them up about it and they sent me the remainder (and offered me the summer clerkship).

That being said, if it is not clear that they were going to cover your travel, AND you wait a week or more to ask, I think it's too late.

Return to “Legal Employment”