A message to 1L's about grade inflation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: A message to 1L's about grade inflation

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
*Knows nothing about the SA process*
*Is mad*



*SA'd at two NLJ 250's 1L summer*
*Got offers at biglaw and midlaw firms for 2L summer*
*Will SA at two firms 2L summer*

Image


edit: I'll tell you what, make me look like an idiot and respond to the questions and comments I presented to you in my previous post.


I'll respond to the only real question that you posed.

I'm also not getting why you think a firm that asks to see your second year grades is a firm that doesn't hire through the SA process.


They do look at it, but, as someone who has purportedly been through the process, you should know that almost all hiring decisions are made on the basis of 1L grades and 2L grades are only relevant to a no-offer and then only sometimes. In this vein, my response to the original poster is that it makes more sense to take as few classes as possible first year even if that means taking more 2L year and even if the curve is going to get inflated because, while minute changes in grades 1L year can make a big difference for getting a job, you have to REALLY fuck up in order to get no-offered on the basis of grades. My assummption is that all other things being = , the kid who takes less classes is going to have an easier time getting good grades.

Edit: Looking back at your post, it just looks like you badly misunderstood my point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: A message to 1L's about grade inflation

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:10 pm

The questions:

1.What legal job have you ever had or what OCI process have you ever been through?

2. "Don't short change yourself?" What is that even in reference to? How can one short change themselves by making sure they keep their gpa and class rank close to where it was following 1L?

3. "Take as few classes as you can so you can do better?" Don't you still need generally about 90 hours to graduate? Don't most schools put a cap on the amount of pass/fail credits you can take? If yes, what are you talking about here?

As to your latest post:

You said:

Veyron wrote:[M]y response to the original poster is that it makes more sense to take as few classes as possible first year even if that means taking more 2L year and even if the curve is going to get inflated...


Perhaps you badly misunderstood my original post because no one is talking about 1L grades or 1L classes. Of course it is probably better to take fewer 1L classes, but that wasn't part of the discussion in this thread at all. My (the original poster) point was that in a situation where there is grade inflation from 1L to 2L, there is a potential to be negatively impacted by that if you take fewer courses during your 2L year on the new, more forgiving curve than your peers. That could be especially harmful if you were an OCI strike out who is still looking for a job, and now has actually moved down in class rank despite turning in a very good performance (not my situation, but one reason to be aware of how such a drastic shift in grading policies can affect you).

You said " Ignore OP: One L grades are the only ones that matter. Take as few classes as you can so you can do better."

You expect me to believe that in a thread about the importance of not taking too few graded hours during 2L year when a new, more forgiving curve is instituted, and in a post that talks about reasons that a 2L would be no offered, you just decided to switch to talking about why a 1L should take as few 1L classes as possible?

In the context of the topic of this thread, and even in the context of that post you made, the statement that one should "Take as few classes as [one] can so [one] can do better" makes very little sense. I don't think I or anyone else can be blamed for not understanding it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: A message to 1L's about grade inflation

Postby Nogameisfair » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Veyron wrote: Edit: I tell you what, make me look like an idiot and give me the V range of the firm that you will be working for.


Bud, no one here really needs to make you look like an idiot. I think most of this board would agree that you do it all by yourself.

OP is right here, there are plenty of reasons to care about your grades after 1L year. Grade inflation, particularly unforeseen inflation, can impact your positioning within your class. As many people who have been through the hiring process know, just because you get a 2L SA spot does not mean your grades are irrelevant.

Further, most schools have a required curriculum and standard amount of graded credits you have to take your first year, so whatever marginal point you added is pretty worthless for most people.

Let the adults speak.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: A message to 1L's about grade inflation

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
Veyron wrote: Edit: I tell you what, make me look like an idiot and give me the V range of the firm that you will be working for.


Bud, no one here really needs to make you look like an idiot. I think most of this board would agree that you do it all by yourself.

OP is right here, there are plenty of reasons to care about your grades after 1L year. Grade inflation, particularly unforeseen inflation, can impact your positioning within your class. As many people who have been through the hiring process know, just because you get a 2L SA spot does not mean your grades are irrelevant.

Further, most schools have a required curriculum and standard amount of graded credits you have to take your first year, so whatever marginal point you added is pretty worthless for most people.

Let the adults speak.



Lol, wut youngun? I stand by my point that. . . given the option between more classes 2L year or 1L year, take the extra classes 2L year. 2L classes can cost you an offer but rarely will get you one. Anything else is silly talk.

User avatar
Nogameisfair
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: A message to 1L's about grade inflation

Postby Nogameisfair » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 am

Veyron wrote:Lol, wut youngun? I stand by my point that. . . given the option between more classes 2L year or 1L year, take the extra classes 2L year. 2L classes can cost you an offer but rarely will get you one. Anything else is silly talk.


Actually, your point was this more obnoxious one:
Veyron wrote:Ignore OP: One L grades are the only ones that matter. Take as few classes as you can so you can do better.


My point is, most schools don't give you the option of taking fewer 1L classes. So, your point is useless advice for the majority of students. OP's advice is much more helpful, that if the curve shifts, and you want to keep your class ranking, e.g. for honors, you better take enough classes later on.

And the crux of your argument, "One L grades are the only ones that matter." Is just false in every way possible. How many offers for employment do you have after graduation? That's what I thought... Stop giving bad advice when you don't know.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.