NYC Law Dept or SDNY Judicial Internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Law Dept or SDNY Judicial Internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Can anyone comment on either of these? Which is better for substantive work experience? Which is better for resume purposes (assuming I want big law litigation)?

Do these answers vary depending on the division of the NYC law department?

Also throwing USAO EDNY/SDNY out there, though I am less hopeful about those. This is for 1L summer.

PriyaRai

Re: NYC Law Dept or SDNY Judicial Internship?

Postby PriyaRai » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 am

Dude, NYC law dept no question! They hire out of their interns big time. Just as prestigious as the SDNY internship. Do it, and don't look back.

thaddjoog

Postby thaddjoog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 am

PriyaRai wrote:Dude, NYC law dept no question! They hire out of their interns big time. Just as prestigious as the SDNY internship. Do it, and don't look back.

Thank you for your response. I am interested in this question as well. So, if there is anyone around who worked for the NYC law dept, I would really appreciate your input (and maybe some details about the job). Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 am

fire away

thaddjoog

Postby thaddjoog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:fire away

Where you able to do a lot of substantive work?

What department did you work with, and were you able to get any info about the other departments?

How were your peers? Did most of them go to NY law schools?

How did you make it in the NYC on the salary that they provide?

Did they pay for transportation?

Thank you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 am

1) yes
2) would rather not say, but it was not among the three largest (torts, special fed, family court). You definitely get a sense of the various divisions.
3) peers were awesome. down to earth. majority were big-law escapees. in my division, most were t14 grads with no skew towards NYU/Columbia, but the non-t14ers were from NY law schools.
4) well, they provide housing for the summer honors program, so that helped. also i had supplemental funding from my school. as for full-time at the department, 63k or so starting salary is quite manageable in NYC, though you won't be living in a Tribeca loft. think brooklyn/queens.
5) no, they don't pay for transportation, but you can walk from the summer housing to the law department in twenty minutes or so if that's an issue.

would be happy to answer anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

what was the call back interview like? how many people did you meet with?
did you have any sense of how many people they gave offers to after inviting them in for callbacks?
was the division you worked in one of the ones you had originally suggested? do you suggest requesting a larger division?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:53 pm

1+2) call-back interview was less exhausting in terms of time than firm call-back interviews but was a bit more rigorous in terms of the substance of the interviews. three different interviews, all with representatives from different divisions. I spoke with folks from special fed, legal counsel, and admin. After that, you talk to the head of legal recruitment. not really an interview like the others; more like a Q&A about the process.

3) no idea about the offer ratio.

4) yes

5) it depends. if you're a 2L looking for a permanent offer, then the bigger divisions are a safer bet. some divisions (economic development, contracts, appeals) essentially never hire new graduates, and many others do so only rarely (aff lit, environmental, legal counsel). but if you're a 1L just looking for experience, push hard for your preferred division. ultimately, the decision won't be wholly yours, but the recruiting department does what it can to satisfy preferences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1+2) call-back interview was less exhausting in terms of time than firm call-back interviews but was a bit more rigorous in terms of the substance of the interviews. three different interviews, all with representatives from different divisions. I spoke with folks from special fed, legal counsel, and admin. After that, you talk to the head of legal recruitment. not really an interview like the others; more like a Q&A about the process.

3) no idea about the offer ratio.

4) yes

5) it depends. if you're a 2L looking for a permanent offer, then the bigger divisions are a safer bet. some divisions (economic development, contracts, appeals) essentially never hire new graduates, and many others do so only rarely (aff lit, environmental, legal counsel). but if you're a 1L just looking for experience, push hard for your preferred division. ultimately, the decision won't be wholly yours, but the recruiting department does what it can to satisfy preferences.

A few days late - but I had some questions too if you're still around.

Is it common for people to work at the NYC Law Department 2 summers in a row? Do 1Ls need to come back their 2L summer to get an offer? Do you know if they let people split their 2L summers?

Do you have a sense of what skills or personalities your summer class shared? Did you find anything surprising about the work you did? Or anything particularly relevant/helpful to doing your job well?

And can you speak to the culture of the office? My screening interview at least was fast-paced.

Thanks for your input!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 pm

1) you can't work at the law department both summers per departmental policy. 1L summers get a leg up during the normal 3L hiring process, if not necessarily for the division for which they worked. They try to treat 2L summers like firm summer associate positions, i.e. perform and you'll get an offer. Thus only 1Ls summer in, say, Appeals or Economic Development.

2) people were nice and unfussy. pretty diverse. surprising variety of subject matter in the work, though I suppose that would vary by division. general excellence at life and law would help you do the work, but otherwise don't sweat prep.

3) Again, that varies by division. my division was pretty relaxed, though when filings are due, people put in the time to get them done. screening interview doesn't tell you much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 am

sorry i missed one of your questions:

I don't think you can split, but I never attempted to. The summer program is pretty rigid in its start and end dates. maybe you could bookend the summer programs with 5 weeks or so somewhere if you're extremely ambitious, get out of school early, start OCI late (assuming you're a 1L), and can locate an amenable employer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 pm

OP, what was the turnaround time from your interview with NYCLD to your offer?

thaddjoog

Postby thaddjoog » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:11 pm

What are the hours like at the NYC LD?

Must one wear a suit everyday?

This is probably a weird question, but does everyone get their own work-space?

On a lighter note, what are some suggestions for things to do around NY for those who have never been to the NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, what was the turnaround time from your interview with NYCLD to your offer?

On a similar note, have any 1Ls heard back yet? (OP, have you heard back, or were you asking in case you do get an offer?) Can the 2L who worked there last summer speak to how long it took to get an offer after your callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:28 am

1L t20. Got an offer two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

^
When did you interview?

Oh, and how were your grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 am

thaddjoog wrote:What are the hours like at the NYC LD?

On a lighter note, what are some suggestions for things to do around NY for those who have never been to the NY?

The hours are a manageable 9-5, though I think if you had a deadline coming up sometimes you needed to stay later to finish whatever project you were working on. Also the Family Court interns might have slightly different hours b/c I know they were doing stuff in court a lot.

Everyone gets their own desk with a computer and phone; every division is set up differently: Some had rooms/officers with work space for a few interns, in others the interns just sat in cubicles.

Things to do around NY? So much! Walking around Central Park is one of my fav things to do. At the Law department they actually also get tix to Shakespeare in the Park so that's a really fun activity. I also recommend going to Governors Island. There's a free ferry from the South Ferry station (at the end of the 1 train) and you can rent bikes on the Island. In the summer there's also the Bryant Park film festival. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and then getting pizza at Grimaldis is also a great activity. A lot of really nice restaurants have prix fixe lunches for around 25 dollars, so that's a fun thing to do on a Saturday as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^
When did you interview?

Oh, and how were your grades?

Interviewed mid Jan. Median grades.

thaddjoog

Postby thaddjoog » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thaddjoog wrote:What are the hours like at the NYC LD?

The hours are a manageable 9-5, though I think if you had a deadline coming up sometimes you needed to stay later to finish whatever project you were working on. Also the Family Court interns might have slightly different hours b/c I know they were doing stuff in court a lot.

Everyone gets their own desk with a computer and phone; every division is set up differently: Some had rooms/officers with work space for a few interns, in others the interns just sat in cubicles.

Things to do around NY? So much! Walking around Central Park is one of my fav things to do. At the Law department they actually also get tix to Shakespeare in the Park so that's a really fun activity. I also recommend going to Governors Island. There's a free ferry from the South Ferry station (at the end of the 1 train) and you can rent bikes on the Island. In the summer there's also the Bryant Park film festival. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and then getting pizza at Grimaldis is also a great activity. A lot of really nice restaurants have prix fixe lunches for around 25 dollars, so that's a fun thing to do on a Saturday as well.

Thanks. What about the attire question?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 pm

you only need to where a suit on days you'll be in court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:32 pm

wow, sorry for misspelling "wear." damn, that was stupid. i promise you'll deal with smarter people than me at the law department. just wanted to answer the question and wasn't paying enough attention to what I was typing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:15 pm

I'm a 2L working there this summer, and I really want to try to get to a permanent offer at the end of the summer. I think I read that they generally give offers to about two-thirds to three-fourths of 2Ls. Pretty good odds, but I want to maximize my chances as much as possible. Is performance during the summer pretty much the only criteria? What about 2L grades, semester internships, extra-curricular (moot court, journal, etc.)? Do you have any advice on what you would have to do to NOT get an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 am

hmm i've never heard that offer rate. last summer it seemed as if they wanted to offer everyone. maybe they didn't in the end.

anyway, offers arrived early-mid september. no requests for 2L grades or other updates, so i assume work product is the only consideration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

anyone hear of any 3Ls who got a job offer from the NYC law department, other than the ones who were interns there last summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2L working there this summer, and I really want to try to get to a permanent offer at the end of the summer. I think I read that they generally give offers to about two-thirds to three-fourths of 2Ls. Pretty good odds, but I want to maximize my chances as much as possible. Is performance during the summer pretty much the only criteria? What about 2L grades, semester internships, extra-curricular (moot court, journal, etc.)? Do you have any advice on what you would have to do to NOT get an offer?

Don't be the worst person in your office:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/law/html/career ... econd-year

Return to “Legal Employment”