DOJ, District Judge, Bankruptcy Judge for 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Job?

DOJ
36%
Bankruptcy Judge
14%
Dist Ct. Judge
50%

Total votes: 14

weee

DOJ, District Judge, Bankruptcy Judge for 1L

Postby weee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:07 pm

My friend got a job offer today, and then pressed all of his other pending job offers, and ended up with 4 offers and 24 hours to decide.

1) DOJ - US Trustee
2) Bankruptcy Judge - Chapter 11
3) District Court Judge specializing in Habeas Corpus

His resume is very PI heavy, and he wants a firm job after graduation, so what will help him get that?

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ, District Judge, Bankruptcy Judge for 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm

r
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonas

Postby jonas » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:02 am

1) Firms won't care which option your friend picks.

2) I don't understand how a district judge can "specialize" in habeas (or anything).

3) Unless your friend has some special interest in bankruptcy, s/he should skip the bankruptcy judge and U.S. Trustee Program. The d. ct. internship will expose your friend to more varied cases. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the other options — assuming the judge's chambers aren't in, say, Muskogee, Oklahoma.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 am

So this judge that "specializes" in habeas petitions just reads and denies over 9000 habeas petitions every month or so?

weee

Postby weee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

rad law wrote:So this judge that "specializes" in habeas petitions just reads and denies over 9000 habeas petitions every month or so?

I honesty have no idea, I just wrote the essence of what he told me. I think more specifically my friend would be working mostly on habeas stuff.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am

weee wrote:
rad law wrote:So this judge that "specializes" in habeas petitions just reads and denies over 9000 habeas petitions every month or so?

I honesty have no idea, I just wrote the essence of what he told me. I think more specifically my friend would be working mostly on habeas stuff.

working on habeas = learning every possible way to dismiss a case before reaching the merits.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am

weee wrote:

Denying shitty habeas petition after shitty habeas petition sounds terrible.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:12 pm

jonas wrote:1) Firms won't care which option your friend picks.

3) Unless your friend has some special interest in bankruptcy, s/he should skip the bankruptcy judge and U.S. Trustee Program. The d. ct. internship will expose your friend to more varied cases. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the other options — assuming the judge's chambers aren't in, say, Muskogee, Oklahoma.

1) Apparently this factor came up because the career services officer said that firms will view a very PI heavy resume as an indication that there is a lower possibility of retention, and they don't want to hire people that are just going to quickly leave.

3) his prior work experience got him those two positions, but I think he wants to branch out. I told him to go w/ the District Judge myself, but he just wanted more opinion.

In fact, what I actually told him is it probably doesn't matter, and he should just go do the job that sounds most interesting to him.

Edit: Also agree that habeas rejections all day sounds boring, but dealing in bankruptcy doesn't sound all that fun either.

Return to “Legal Employment”