Have you guys heard back from judges?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Have you guys heard back from judges?

Postby whoknows12 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Is it too late to apply to judges??? When do people normally hear back?

Re: Have you guys heard back from judges?

Postby missinglink » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Can you be more specific? Court level, general region?

Anyways, I heard back from 2 judges in early January. I also heard back from about 8 or so, that they either weren't taking interns this summer, had already found interns, or only hired 2Ls.

I ended up taking a position with one of the first two, so that leaves maybe 10 or so applications where I've never heard anything.

Anyways, if you haven't even applied, it's getting on the late side for judges. They like to get it done earlier rather than later from what I've heard. Federal judges have started interviewing in my area, and a lot of the trial courts have made decisions already.

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Are you asking about law student externships or post law school clerkships :?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

As soon as grades came out, about a month ago, I applied to ~30 Dist/Mag judges in ED/ND Cal. Within a few days, I heard back from clerks for 3 of them, each asking for a writing sample and one asking also for academic reference.

Other than that, crickets. And I've not heard back from the 3 chambers; probably because my writing sample was close to shit and because I still haven't sent that academic reference (because I don't have one). Meanwhile, I do know that classmates are interviewing for those spots. Sonofasonofabitch.

I knew my grades weren't blow-you-away good. But they were good enough for top 15-20% at Davis/Hastings. And with significant WE, I figured why not? I guess now I know: Judges like either better grades, way better writing samples, or both. So, no judge for me, since I'm too lazy to wade through state judges and figure out what to do there.

Return to “Legal Employment”