So I love everything, What type of law should I do.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

So I love everything, What type of law should I do.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Let us pretend someone loved everything. What type of law would be good to specialize in at this point. What is in demand. I am trying to find a niche.

Veyron

Re: So I love everything, What type of law should I do.

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:23 pm

730 wrote:Let us pretend someone loved everything. What type of law would be good to specialize in at this point. What is in demand. I am trying to find a niche.

IP

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Subterranean real estate procurement and development law or domestic pet law...both rapidly growing niche practice areas.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Veyron wrote:
730 wrote:Let us pretend someone loved everything. What type of law would be good to specialize in at this point. What is in demand. I am trying to find a niche.

IP

Thank you for a real answer but no background in IP. I assume IP is the only field that requires certain UG majors.

edit- Also, no one say Bird Law, I am looking for real answers.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 pm

730 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

IP

Thank you for a real answer but no background in IP. I assume IP is the only field that requires certain UG majors.

The other obvious answer is anything that you have a background in.
Ideally, you would have two specialties by the time you go through OCI, an up market and down market one.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
730 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

IP

Ideally, you would have two specialties by the time you go through OCI, an up market and down market one.

Well I have no background. That is why Im making the thread. So by OCI I will have a specialty. I am trying to build one right now, but I don't know what is practical right now. I also do not know what up market and down market mean.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 pm

[/quote]

Ideally, you would have two specialties by the time you go through OCI, an up market and down market one.[/quote]

Well I have no background. That is why Im making the thread. So by OCI I will have a specialty. I am trying to build one right now, but I don't know what is practical right now. I also do not know what up market and down market mean.[/quote]

Dude, if you aren't holding an HYS acceptance, it would be very prudential to defer for a year to gain work experience. Otherwise, I am afraid that OCI will be more difficult for you than it needs to be.

Up market: Bull
Down market: Bear

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Veyron wrote:

Ideally, you would have two specialties by the time you go through OCI, an up market and down market one.[/quote]

Well I have no background. That is why Im making the thread. So by OCI I will have a specialty. I am trying to build one right now, but I don't know what is practical right now. I also do not know what up market and down market mean.[/quote]

Dude, if you aren't holding an HYS acceptance, it would be very prudential to defer for a year to gain work experience. Otherwise, I am afraid that OCI will be more difficult for you than it needs to be.

Down market: Bear[/quote]

I am already in law school at CCN.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Trying for a clerkship? Take two years in district court to help you figure it out.

Tax is generally a profitable field (even tax controversy lawyers often they bill higher than litigation lawyers). But you probably have to take a bunch of tax classes or get an LLM to be viable at most large firms, DOJ Tax, or IRS.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:05 pm

730 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Down market: Bear[/quote]

I am already in law school at CCN.[/quote]

CCN is no guarantee ITE, all the kids that have struck out from there that I know had no WE. Also, lack of WE could hold you back from a higher ranked firm even if you do get biglaw.

After grades, WE is the #1 thing that firms look at.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Tax sounds good. Is it in demand, do people need llms for it?

ajcollege

Postby ajcollege » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 pm

I think you really need to examine this "I love everything" mentality. For example, pick between these two: Defending a child rapist OR flying to Omaha over Thanksgiving weekend to comb through 1.2 million payroll records in a warehouse.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 pm

ajcollege wrote:I think you really need to examine this "I love everything" mentality. For example, pick between these two: Defending a child rapist OR flying to Omaha over Thanksgiving weekend to comb through 1.2 million payroll records in a warehouse.

I don't know, I kinda went into law-school with the same mentality. You quickly figure out a focus. Go to firm receptions, talk to the litigators, talk to the corporate people. If there doesn't seem like a difference to you one way or another you have no personality.

theLSATnemesis

Postby theLSATnemesis » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 pm

ajcollege wrote:I think you really need to examine this "I love everything" mentality. For example, pick between these two: Defending a child rapist OR flying to Omaha over Thanksgiving weekend to comb through 1.2 million payroll records in a warehouse.

I'll take what's in door three.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 pm

That is correct I have no personality. I am happy just working. I just want to know what is in demand and will make me employable.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:24 pm

I am passionate about everything.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:27 pm

730 wrote:That is correct I have no personality. I am happy just working. I just want to know what is in demand and will make me employable.

You are right to be concerned with employability ITE, even from the T-14. However, interviews are pretty darn important, if you can't sound passionate about the work you do, the very best grades won't save you. I have friends at the very top of their classes at the T-14 who struck out out biglaw because it wasn't what they really wanted to do and it showed. Conversely, I know kids below median who landed biglaw jobs and just had enthusiam for the work and a clear message about how they were well suited to the role. A lack of passion can hold you back. Charisma and ganas my friend.

Edit: If you can express enthusiasm about everything, just bid on firms with large class sizes and talk about wanting to join the practice group that does the most hiring.

As long as you aren't in the bottom 1/3 of your class, its all going to come down to your bid strategy and interview skills.

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:30 pm

I come off as very passionate in real life. I am a great interviewer. I don't think these things are enough. I am posting because I have no story to tell, no area of law I want to go into or have experience in. I can tell a convincing story. I am looking for a story line to build from.

edit- How can I tell which practice group does the hiring. Also, I have time before 2l OCI and I would still like to build experience that looks like it is going towards a goal. I think it would be nice to have activities, internships, part time work, clubs, classes, etc that build towards the practice group I am claiming I want to join. I don't want it to sound like I just picked something off a list.
Last edited by 730 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:30 pm

730 wrote:Tax sounds good. Is it in demand, do people need llms for it?

Tax is always in demand, and it mingles with many other fields. Must know tax consequences for many business transactions. All high-wealth individuals need tax planning. Then there's also tax controversy (litigation).

LLM is not necessary, especially for tax controversy work. LLM is often preferred.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 pm

so how much better is 1 year of WE than 0, when compared with 2-3 years of WE over just 1. does one year of solid full time employment work in your favor at OCIs or would you need to have more than that?

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:34 pm

ggocat wrote:
730 wrote:Tax sounds good. Is it in demand, do people need llms for it?

Tax is always in demand, and it mingles with many other fields. Must know tax consequences for many business transactions. All high-wealth individuals need tax planning. Then there's also tax controversy (litigation).

LLM is not necessary, especially for tax controversy work. LLM is often preferred.

I am trying to make myself a strong candidate for a field. I worry if LLM is preferred, and I have no LLM, then I will be a weak candidate.

edit- I am willing to do anything to become a strong candidate, except go into more debt to get an LLM in tax.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Dude, I find it hard to believe you like everything equally. You have to have some sort of preference

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 pm

dr123 wrote:Dude, I find it hard to believe you like everything equally. You have to have some sort of preference

I don't.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:38 pm

730 wrote:
dr123 wrote:Dude, I find it hard to believe you like everything equally. You have to have some sort of preference

I don't.

well what made you want to become a lawyer?

Postby 730 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm

dr123 wrote:
730 wrote:

I don't.

well what made you want to become a lawyer?

I was turned on by the long hours.

Return to “Legal Employment”