Tie Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PirateCap'n

Tie Question

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Got OCI interviews coming up, and I'm trying to get the wardrobe settled. I've already searched and can't find an answer to this (i.e. tie matching). If there is a discussion of it, please direct me to it. Otherwise, I have a dark navy suit and a charcoal suit, and I plan to alternate with them. My question is about a tie for the navy suit. I've got a tie that's almost identical to the one below, and I don't really know if it matches the dark navy or not (I've never been the best at matching colors). The suit itself is significantly darker than the navy in the tie (it isn't far from being black it's so dark). Any advice?

--ImageRemoved--

99.9luft

Re: Tie Question

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:13 pm

as long as the suit is darker than the dark navy colour of the tie, you're good. Although, it would help to have the visual.

edit: same colour as the darkest in the tie* or darker

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:16 pm

99.9luft wrote:as long as the suit is darker than the dark navy colour of the tie, you're good. Although, it would help to have the visual.

edit: same colour as the darkest in the tie* or darker

If I had any way to get a picture of it up here, I would. Since I can't, suffice it to say that I had to hold it beside my black suit just to be sure that it was navy.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:22 pm

hmm...if yours is so dark that it's easy to confuse with black...then perhaps this isn't the right tie.

basically, you want to be able to easily find the suit's colour in the tie (you don't want the interviewer to even subconsciously question whether the two match).

I personally like contrasts as opposed to selecting a lighter-than-the-suit tone. Not a fan of the tie completely matching the suit (so it's good that you have the light blue in the tie). At the same time, you don't want the tie to present 2 additional colours besides the suit's.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Well, my other option is a red tie with light blue stripes, but it still introduces two new colors. Not exactly sure what to do.
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
99.9luft wrote:hmm...if yours is so dark that it's easy to confuse with black...then perhaps this isn't the right tie.

basically, you want to be able to easily find the suit's colour in the tie (you don't want the interviewer to even subconsciously question whether the two match).

I personally like contrasts as opposed to selecting a lighter-than-the-suit tone. Not a fan of the tie completely matching the suit (so it's good that you have the light blue in the tie). At the same time, you don't want the tie to present 2 additional colours besides the suit's.

Well, my other option is a red tie with light blue stripes, but it still introduces two new colors. Not exactly sure what to do. http://s6.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/F66AF00D.jpg

love the red tie...if only instead of light blue it had the EXACT navy blue of the suit.

can you put the blue tie next to the suit now and see if the dark blues match?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:35 pm

99.9luft wrote:love the red tie...if only instead of light blue it had the EXACT navy blue of the suit.

Yeah. Just did. The dark blue in the tie is definitely lighter than the dark blue suit.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:38 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
99.9luft wrote:love the red tie...if only instead of light blue it had the EXACT navy blue of the suit.

Yeah. Just did. The dark blue in the tie is definitely lighter than the dark blue suit.

damnit. here's smth else: a light blue shirt and a gold/ dark yellow solid (no patterns) tie.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:41 pm

99.9luft wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

damnit. here's smth else: a light blue shirt and a gold/ dark yellow solid (no patterns) tie.

That would be fine, but, unfortunately, my tie choices are pretty much limited to blue and red. Here's an alternative. I have a solid red tie that I can wear with the navy suit, so can I wear the red tie with blue stripes (above) with a dark charcoal suit?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

That would be fine, but, unfortunately, my tie choices are pretty much limited to blue and red. Here's an alternative. I have a solid red tie that I can wear with the navy suit, so can I wear the red tie with blue stripes (above) with a dark charcoal suit?

red goes definitely better with charcoal than with navy. So, try the dark charcoal suit + white shirt + solid red tie. Doubt that the light blue stripes will complement dark charcoal... - but still worth a try to see in the blue is out of place or not *edit*
Last edited by 99.9luft on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:48 pm

99.9luft wrote:red goes definitely better with charcoal than with navy. So, try the dark charcoal suit + white shirt + solid red tie. Doubt that the light blue stripes will complement dark charcoal....

Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do. Might just have to go buy some more ties before Tuesday.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
99.9luft wrote:red goes definitely better with charcoal than with navy. So, try the dark charcoal suit + white shirt + solid red tie. Doubt that the light blue stripes will complement dark charcoal....

Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do. Might just have to go buy some more ties before Tuesday.

You're welcome! and good luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:05 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Well, my other option is a red tie with light blue stripes, but it still introduces two new colors. Not exactly sure what to do.

This one.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:This one.

For the dark navy suit? Also, I managed to find a picture of the navy suit for reference. Could be that I'm just unable to really distinguish between black and dark navy. --LinkRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:11 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

For the dark navy suit?

Yes, why not? That tie would go with just about any suit and is perfect for interviews.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

For the dark navy suit?

Yes, why not? That tie would go with just about any suit and is perfect for interviews.

Good to know. Just didn't know if the light blue and red worked with the really dark blue.

erico

Postby erico » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 pm

What you don't know any girls?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:52 pm

erico wrote:What you don't know any girls?

lol @ trusting male professional fashion to a girl

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:56 pm

A tie doesn't really have to match, more like complement/accent, so don't worry if it has "new" colors

and it's not like you are "matching" the tie to the suit. You're "matching" it to the shirt and the suit. So it really depends on what color your shirt is. If it's job interview then it's probably white or light blue. With a white shirt, solid navy blue suit you could realistically go w/ any color tie, and any design other than paisley.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Borhas wrote:A tie doesn't really have to match, more like complement/accent, so don't worry if it has "new" colors

and it's not like you are "matching" the tie to the suit. You're "matching" it to the shirt and the suit. So it really depends on what color your shirt is. If it's job interview then it's probably white or light blue. With a white shirt, solid navy blue suit you could realistically go w/ any color tie, and any design other than paisley.

Great. Thanks for the help. I'm planning on going with the red one with blue stripes above, and I bought a yellow one as well. I figure that should take care of the blue. Is there anything wrong with a solid red tie with a dark charcoal suit (if so, would the red one above or a yellow one work with charcoal?)?

Return to “Legal Employment”