judicial internship or attorney general? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Matypete

New

judicial internship or attorney general?

Post by Matypete » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm a 1L and have been offered two summer jobs: my state's attorney general's office and a judicial internship for a federal district court judge. Any ideas on which is the better opportunity? Thanks!

CyLaw

Gold

Re: judicial internship or attorney general?

Post by CyLaw » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Matypete wrote:I'm a 1L and have been offered two summer jobs: my state's attorney general's office and a judicial internship for a federal district court judge. Any ideas on which is the better opportunity? Thanks!
Conventional TLS wisdom would be the Federal judge. However, if you thinking you may want to work for your state's government, the experience at the AG office would be valuable for connections and understanding the focus areas of your state.

Is splitting an option?

BTW: Wrong forum. This is for discussing transfers.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Split if you can. Be aware though, that working for your AG (if your AG is elected) has the potential to "brand" you as politically affiliated with whatever party your AG was elected by. This probably won't be a big deal at all, but something to consider.

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Yes, spending 6 weeks as an unpaid intern will forever brand this person as politically affiliated with the AG. You have to be kidding me.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:19 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Split if you can. Be aware though, that working for your AG (if your AG is elected) has the potential to "brand" you as politically affiliated with whatever party your AG was elected by. This probably won't be a big deal at all, but something to consider.
I can't imagine there is any chance of this at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”