grades and public interest Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trey

New

grades and public interest

Post by trey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:43 am

1L here. I applied to a bunch of PI jobs for the summer and few seemed to ask for transcripts or grades at all. Granted, these weren't jobs that would be considered "prestigious" but jobs I am interested in nonetheless. Their decisions in calling for interviews, im assuming, was based on prior commitment to public interest work which I happen to have.

Does this hold true for post-graduate PI positions? Is a commitment to PI more important than grades?

I ask mainly because my grades aren't too hot...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: grades and public interest

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:08 am

I'm curious what exactly you mean by public interest. Not trying to be difficult, I guess I just find the 'public interest' job category for law students and lawyers somewhat confusing because I'm never sure exactly what it is meant to include.

If you (or the term generally) means work for a non-profit organzation, then I think your goals, work experience, and interest in the mission of the non-profit will be very significant in getting you jobs. I think some non-profits may still give considerable weight to grades, though I imagine that for many non-profit positions grades are somewhat secondary or perhaps not even considered at all in some cases. If you mean government work in the public interest, then I think grades probably matter more, at least for internships during school. I think this is probably especially true for certain highly sought after Federal govt. internships having to do with public-interest or policy work.

trey

New

Re: grades and public interest

Post by trey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:59 am

sorry i meant to be more specific. I am talking about work for a non-profit, not something like a US attorney where i know grades do matter.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”