1L SA for Big 4 accounting firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA for Big 4 accounting firm

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:58 am

A bit of a random question but I believe that any input will go a long way in helping me chose the law school I wish to attend

I was wondering if anyone can give insight as to how much a paid, 1L SA position with a Big 4 accounting firm's legal department (presumably in private equity) can help in landing a job with Vault100 firm for my 2L summer? I am asking this because I have close family members who are managing partners of a Big 4 firm and have already informed me that they will provide me with a paid 1L summer job.

I understand that my school will be a big indicator of this, but If I do not attend a T14 and choose a school like WUSTL or Emory instead, will such a job during my 1L summer help fill the void created by these schools' lack of big firm placement? Will such a job help me distinguish myself amongst the rest of the pool during interviews?

cornellbeez

Re: 1L SA for Big 4 accounting firm

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:10 am

I don't think employers care that much about your 1L summer job. The job might make you a more memorable candidate, but I think your grades and full-time work experience before law school are way more important factors. I don't really think it would fill a void if your grades, viewed in the context of your school, are not good enough. I would, however, definitely take the Big 4 legal position because it is paid, which is rare for a 1L job.

You should definitely feel fortunate though. If you decide to pursue tax law, and get a tax LLM, you presumably have an easy in at a Big 4 (which is where many of the tax LLMs end up/try to end up).

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:A bit of a random question but I believe that any input will go a long way in helping me chose the law school I wish to attend

I was wondering if anyone can give insight as to how much a paid, 1L SA position with a Big 4 accounting firm's legal department (presumably in private equity) can help in landing a job with Vault100 firm for my 2L summer? I am asking this because I have close family members who are managing partners of a Big 4 firm and have already informed me that they will provide me with a paid 1L summer job.

I understand that my school will be a big indicator of this, but If I do not attend a T14 and choose a school like WUSTL or Emory instead, will such a job during my 1L summer help fill the void created by these schools' lack of big firm placement? Will such a job help me distinguish myself amongst the rest of the pool during interviews?

no, it will hurt you if its not a legal job... if it is a legal job, then you're on the same footing as everyone else w/ one

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:26 pm

ntugwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A bit of a random question but I believe that any input will go a long way in helping me chose the law school I wish to attend

no, it will hurt you if its not a legal job... if it is a legal job, then you're on the same footing as everyone else w/ one

OP said it is in the legal department...

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:58 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
ntugwater wrote:

i tend not to read things

yeah so its good, but still wont help as much as grades/interview personality 2l summer

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:33 pm

ntugwater wrote:
yeah so its good, but still wont help as much as grades/interview personality 2l summer

Agree and disagree. Grades are certainly king, but from personal experience, having biglaw/midlaw firm work on your resume is a tremendous boost when you're searching for a 2L job. I would think this opportunity would provide a similar boost.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:39 pm

ntugwater wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
ntugwater wrote:

i tend not to read things

:|

theghostofDrewTate

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
ntugwater wrote:

Agree and disagree. Grades are certainly king, but from personal experience, having biglaw/midlaw firm work on your resume is a tremendous boost when you're searching for a 2L job. I would think this opportunity would provide a similar boost.

Yeah, it can give you something to talk about in an interview, which is good. But be careful, I once interviewed someone who had a line item on his resume that said something like "Spearheaded corporate reorganization of [former Fortune 500 company]." Then, in the interview when I called him out on it (I would have been accommodating if he blamed it on his career services office tweaking his resume) he tried to play it up like if he was not a 1L summer at that firm, the company would be pwn3d forever. DO NOT DO THAT.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:28 pm

didn't ATL roast Emory for its OCS?

"Emory Law Student Lament: ‘We don’t need donuts, we need jobs.’ "
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/emory-la ... need-jobs/

Return to “Legal Employment”