Externship with Federal Bankruptcy Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawquacious

Externship with Federal Bankruptcy Judge

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:56 pm

How is this generally looked upon v. externship/internship with Federal District Court Judge?

ggocat

Re: Externship with Federal Bankruptcy Judge

Postby ggocat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 am

It's great if you want to work in bankruptcy.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:38 am

ggocat wrote:It's great if you want to work in bankruptcy.

I lol'd. Yeah, that is fairly a credited response. I doubt that too many lawyers start out wanting to work in bankruptcy though. I'm really wondering if it is looked at as favorably (or close) to doing a Federal District Court externship/internship regardless of what path one may pursue after doing the externship.

theghostofDrewTate

Postby theghostofDrewTate » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:05 am

Lawquacious wrote:

I lol'd. Yeah, that is fairly a credited response. I doubt that too many lawyers start out wanting to work in bankruptcy though. I'm really wondering if it is looked at as favorably (or close) to doing a Federal District Court externship/internship regardless of what path one may pursue after doing the externship.

There's nothing wrong with bankruptcy. You get to do litigation (they trust junior associates to actually make appearances very early on) and corporate work (363 sales). Additionally, in bankruptcy if your hours are low during the midst of a bull market, no one thinks about firing you because the firm needs bankruptcy people and since the partners are making money hand over fist in the bull market, mass layoffs of low billers aren't on the horizon.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 am

Lawquacious wrote:I lol'd. Yeah, that is fairly a credited response. I doubt that too many lawyers start out wanting to work in bankruptcy though. I'm really wondering if it is looked at as favorably (or close) to doing a Federal District Court externship/internship regardless of what path one may pursue after doing the externship.

Sorry for stating the obvious. haha. But if this is for 1L summer, it probably won't matter. Some interviewers from firms that do not have a bankruptcy practice might think you are interested in bankruptcy, so just be sure to have an intelligible response to the question of why you interned for a bankruptcy judge. A nice benefit of interning for a district judge is that you won't get that question.

Also agree with the pro-bankruptcy response. If you think you might be interested, that's a good enough reason to do it.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:12 pm

theghostofDrewTate wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

There's nothing wrong with bankruptcy. You get to do litigation (they trust junior associates to actually make appearances very early on) and corporate work (363 sales). Additionally, in bankruptcy if your hours are low during the midst of a bull market, no one thinks about firing you because the firm needs bankruptcy people and since the partners are making money hand over fist in the bull market, mass layoffs of low billers aren't on the horizon.

Just a note - bankruptcy practices vary widely depending on whether you are a creditor-side or debtor-side practice.

The corporate lawyers in most debtor-side practices are going to be responsible for most of the 363 sale stuff (as far as drafting up the terms of the actual deal, pursuing the buyer, handling the negotiations, etc) - the bankruptcy attorneys are there for a pretty narrow subset of the 363 (or sale under the plan - particularly after Philly News) issues.

Return to “Legal Employment”