Forwarding resume through contact?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Forwarding resume through contact?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 pm

1L at a T2 here with an etiquette question. My mom was talking to her boss about my search for an SA position, and her boss emailed an attorney friend at a firm about me. The attorney, who works at a firm I have already applied to through OCI, told my mom's boss to send him my resume, and he will make sure it gets "extra-special attention." (Not that I expect that to mean much.) I had no idea any of this was going on until my mom forwarded me the email exchanges.

What do I do? Should I send the boss my resume? With a cover letter specifically addressed to that attorney? Send him my resume directly? Send my mom's boss a thank you email for randomly soliciting for me?

Teoeo

Re: Forwarding resume through contact?

Postby Teoeo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at a T2 here with an etiquette question. My mom was talking to her boss about my search for an SA position, and her boss emailed an attorney friend at a firm about me. The attorney, who works at a firm I have already applied to through OCI, told my mom's boss to send him my resume, and he will make sure it gets "extra-special attention." (Not that I expect that to mean much.) I had no idea any of this was going on until my mom forwarded me the email exchanges.

What do I do? Should I send the boss my resume? With a cover letter specifically addressed to that attorney? Send him my resume directly? Send my mom's boss a thank you email for randomly soliciting for me?

1. Jesus christ man, that's a lot of posts.
2. I would send the boss your resume directly with a thank you note.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 am

Ha, that's not my post count. I think that's for all "anonymous posting."

Thanks for advice.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:28 am

I contacted a lot of alums of my undergrad at firms and what I did (sanctioned by my career services office) was I addressed the cover letter and email to them, but in the cover letter I wrote CC: Hiring Director (whatever their name was) and I cc'd the hiring director on the email. That way the hiring director definitely has your resume/cover letter/contact info, and the contact you have can just reply to the email to the hiring director saying "please look into this candidate with extra attention" or something.

EDIT: Oops I missed a link in the chain of connections. I would email the attorney and CC both the hiring coordinator AND your mom's boss, and mention that the boss said you could contact the attorney. If you don't have the attorney's contact info, then email the boss with a nice thank you email and the resume, but also send a handwritten thank you note. Regardless of how you get the info out there, send a handwritten thank you note to the boss!

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”