Internships w/ State Department? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Verity

Silver

Internships w/ State Department?

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Anyone know about any internships or entry-level stuff with the State Department during and after LS? Anyone know anyone who's got one?

lawmantentwo

New

Re: Internships w/ State Department?

Post by lawmantentwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Yes, it is nearly impossible. It is harder than a federal clerkship. Be prepared to go to a T20 and be the very top of your class.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 pm

lawmantentwo wrote:Yes, it is nearly impossible. It is harder than a federal clerkship. Be prepared to go to a T20 and be the very top of your class.
What kind of positions do they have? Do they mostly recruit students with heavy international law credentials?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:41 pm

You can get one with what they call "L", the Office of Legal Adviser. The Legal Adviser reports directly to the Secretary of State, and his staff support his mission of advising the Secretary and US diplomats worldwide. The website is here:

http://www.state.gov/s/l/

These are extraordinarily competitive. They come to OCI at the very top schools, and they make offers on the same timeframe as BigLaw and following NALP offer guidelines to compete for top students. Very few offers are given; I believe they take around 10 interns per year, and that's it. These are unpaid, but intensely competitive.

I overheard HLS students during EIP who were interviewing, and they were extremely nervous. One said that he'd heard that last year the editor-in-chief of the Yale Law Journal applied and got rejected. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's indicative of the aura that surrounds these internships. I know people at HLS with good grades and international interest who interviewed and got rejected, and these are people who ended up with SLIP, DC or international BigLaw, and other hard-to-get things.

In other words, yes it exists, but no, you can't have it.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:You can get one with what they call "L", the Office of Legal Adviser. The Legal Adviser reports directly to the Secretary of State, and his staff support his mission of advising the Secretary and US diplomats worldwide. The website is here:

These are extraordinarily competitive. They come to OCI at the very top schools, and they make offers on the same timeframe as BigLaw and following NALP offer guidelines to compete for top students. Very few offers are given; I believe they take around 10 interns per year, and that's it. These are unpaid, but intensely competitive.

I overheard HLS students during EIP who were interviewing, and they were extremely nervous. One said that he'd heard that last year the editor-in-chief of the Yale Law Journal applied and got rejected. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's indicative of the aura that surrounds these internships. I know people at HLS with good grades and international interest who interviewed and got rejected, and these are people who ended up with SLIP, DC or international BigLaw, and other hard-to-get things.

Hmm. I wouldn't think that connections play too big a role in landing these internships, if at all. They must be looking for something/s in particular. I wonder how they evaluate candidates. If it's just an interview and a writing sample, they must be looking for some qualities in those that stand out in some very particular way, all else being equal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Someone from my Top50 regional law school landed a state department summer position in Sydney Australia. I'm not 100% sure it was a legal position, but they ended up turning it down for a federal agency internship in DC.

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I work at the State Department now as a contractor. I'm just now in the process of applying to law schools so I'm not working in any legal capacity. But I've worked with State Dept for years both as contractor and federal employer. Working here is the reason I decided to go to law school...I luv it!!!
Another good office to try out is Office of Civil Rights. I worked in this office and I know they have a record of hiring folks fulltime upon graduation. And the 2 ladies that I know that work there now were legal interns and coop students there and both went to Tier 3 schools. And they do a lot of work with L. And FYI the big thing about working there is being able to get a security clearance. If you don't think you pass that then don't apply. If you have any questions about State Department just PM me. :)

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Verity wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:You can get one with what they call "L", the Office of Legal Adviser. The Legal Adviser reports directly to the Secretary of State, and his staff support his mission of advising the Secretary and US diplomats worldwide. The website is here:

Hmm. I wouldn't think that connections play too big a role in landing these internships, if at all. They must be looking for something/s in particular. I wonder how they evaluate candidates. If it's just an interview and a writing sample, they must be looking for some qualities in those that stand out in some very particular way, all else being equal.

UMMMMMMM Dead Wrong!!! This is the State Department. Let me tell you from experience this is the place where connections are very good for you. Trust me!!!! If know someone who works at the State Dept call them and remind them of who you are. Remember that the State Dept employees are Diplomats that travel around the world. Diplomats are famous for using their connections. Its very important to know how to develop relationships with people. Its all politics...its a game that you must learn how to play to come out on top. Remember this is DC....connections are EVERYTHING.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:16 am

mimi82 wrote:
Verity wrote:

UMMMMMMM Dead Wrong!!! This is the State Department. Let me tell you from experience this is the place where connections are very good for you. Trust me!!!! If know someone who works at the State Dept call them and remind them of who you are. Remember that the State Dept employees are Diplomats that travel around the world. Diplomats are famous for using their connections. Its very important to know how to develop relationships with people. Its all politics...its a game that you must learn how to play to come out on top. Remember this is DC....connections are EVERYTHING.

If what vanwinkle was referencing was true (see above), you would think that editor-in-chief of the YLJ would have the best connection of all: THE LEGAL ADVISOR (Dean Koh). If that's true, then connections probably don't play a huge role for most of the people who get accepted. It's an internship, not a run for Senate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am

Verity wrote:
mimi82 wrote:
Verity wrote:

If what vanwinkle was referencing was true (see above), you would think that editor-in-chief of the YLJ would have the best connection of all: THE LEGAL ADVISOR (Dean Koh). If that's true, then connections probably don't play a huge role for most of the people who get accepted. It's an internship, not a run for Senate.
So r u saying that person knew the legal advisor or someone they knew knows the legal advisor? I'm just trying to give u advice. I know a girl whose father was a movie producer and used his contacts to get her an internship there right out of high school. I've done amazing things that most folks have no clue they even exist...but I knew somebody who knew somebody. If u don't want to take the advice fine...and I'm not going by what I think...these are facts... Goodluck.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:52 am

mimi82 wrote:So r u saying that person knew the legal advisor or someone they knew knows the legal advisor? I'm just trying to give u advice. I know a girl whose father was a movie producer and used his contacts to get her an internship there right out of high school. I've done amazing things that most folks have no clue they even exist...but I knew somebody who knew somebody. If u don't want to take the advice fine...and I'm not going by what I think...these are facts... Goodluck.
He's pointing out that the current Legal Adviser (that is, the person who runs the Office of Legal Adviser) is the former dean of Yale Law School, and if anyone were going to be well-received by him, it would be the EIC of the Yale Law Journal.

Also, "these are facts", lol. Lemme guess... 0L?

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Last edited by mimi82 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Am I the only person who doesn't understand why 0L's continue to post inane crap on the Legal Employment Forum for Law Students and Graduates?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:49 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't understand why 0L's continue to post inane crap on the Legal Employment Forum for Law Students and Graduates?
I wouldn't be inclined to agree right away with mimi82 that it's all about connections, but maybe he/she has some insight into the culture at the State Department. Maybe that anecdote about the EIC of the YLJ is just false; but I will say that (good) connections usually don't hurt.

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 am

Verity wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't understand why 0L's continue to post inane crap on the Legal Employment Forum for Law Students and Graduates?
I wouldn't be inclined to agree right away with mimi82 that it's all about connections, but maybe he/she has some insight into the culture at the State Department. Maybe that anecdote about the EIC of the YLJ is just false; but I will say that (good) connections usually don't hurt.
Its not all about connections but no it doesn't hurt. If you need any info just PM like I said. I also know a great deal of folks that started off as contractors with the State Department and then got in a federal position afterwards or some sort of student position. Also don't just look at the regular gov't hiring process. There are other programs that people use to get in the State Dept also.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:49 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm

I applied for a Fall internship through their pathways program that was due on March 1. Top 5% at a Top50. Not really expecting anything, but figured I'd take a flier on it just in case.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 am

for 2L internships at L: they tend to take 1-3 people from each of a handful of top schools. from the people I know who were there, they like LR, and they like demonstrate interest in int'l law, but there are people who lack one of these things who still get it (not sure if lacking both would be possible). connections not necessary--I know people who have no idea how they ended up there. would it help? maybe? it's just an incredibly small class so it's tough to say.

their program was cut to 6 weeks, unpaid, last year so everyone split with somewhere else, either gov't/firm (though I think this may have been common before as well).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:56 pm

I also applied through the pathways program for a Fall 2L internship. Top 50 top5% as well. Not expecting much. Supposed to hear back at the end of April

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:46 pm

If it's unpaid and, presumably, doesn't lead to full-time employment, why is it so competitive? Does everyone just split anyway and they like having it on their resume?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”