Clerkships General Ranking

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheAudacityofHope

Clerkships General Ranking

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm reading a bunch of SCOTUS clerks' profiles and trying to understand all the different types of clerkships. Can someone quickly rank the different kinds of clerkships, possibly even throw in the more selective judges at each stage? This would be helpful for me but I'm sure it would be helpful for a lot of people as well.
Last edited by TheAudacityofHope on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adude

Re: Clerkships General Ranking

Postby adude » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Really don't know about relative prestige of different circuits or states. This might be pretty obvious, but from what I understand . . .

SCOTUS>Circuit>District Ct>State Supreme Ct>State CoA>State Superior Ct

(basically federal>state)

TheAudacityofHope

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:32 pm

adude wrote:Really don't know about relative prestige of different circuits or states. This might be pretty obvious, but from what I understand . . .

SCOTUS>Circuit>District Ct>State Supreme Ct>State CoA>State Superior Ct

(basically federal>state)

This is very helpful. Now I can do a bit of research with this.

deneuve39

Postby deneuve39 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm

The 2nd, 9th, 7th, and D.C Circuits are also considerably harder to get. The same applies to districts: SDNY; EDNY; ND Cal; ED Va. are all quite prestigious.

TheAudacityofHope

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 pm

What would a typical ascension to SCOTUS clerkship look like?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:12 pm

TheAudacityofHope wrote:What would a typical ascension to SCOTUS clerkship look like?

Top grades at top school (think HYSCCN) -> [District Court Clerkship] -> COA Clerkship for a feeder judge -> luck and prayer -> SCOTUS

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 pm

rad law wrote:
TheAudacityofHope wrote:What would a typical ascension to SCOTUS clerkship look like?

Top grades at top school (think HYSCCN) -> [District Court Clerkship] -> COA Clerkship for a feeder judge -> luck and prayer -> SCOTUS

Unless you want to work for Thomas, in which case you join FedSoc, finish #1 in your class at a random T2 and then hope to hit the SCOTUS lottery.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Unless you want to work for Thomas, in which case you join FedSoc, finish #1 in your class at a random T2 and then hope to hit the SCOTUS lottery.

+1 so true.

TheAudacityofHope

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Assuming you could still pull through with stellar recommendations at the school you transferred to, does transferring from a T40 to a T14, by itself, void your chances?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:21 pm

TheAudacityofHope wrote:Assuming you could still pull through with stellar recommendations at the school you transferred to, does transferring from a T40 to a T14, by itself, void your chances?

Retake LSAT and reapply

TheAudacityofHope

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Also, why does Georgetown place as well as CCN, UVA and Duke? It's right there. It has the Supreme Court Institute. But most of all, it's just right there. The justices and the professors probably socialize all the time.

TheAudacityofHope

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm

rad law wrote:
TheAudacityofHope wrote:Assuming you could still pull through with stellar recommendations at the school you transferred to, does transferring from a T40 to a T14, by itself, void your chances?

Retake LSAT and reapply

Me and the LSAT are over. 3 and out.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:08 am

Where on the ladder are article 1 and article 4 clerkships?

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where on the ladder are article 1 and article 4 clerkships?

Good question... I've wondered the same thing myself. From a general perspective article 1 is clearly below article 3, but if you know you for sure want to go into bankruptcy, a bankruptcy clerkship with one of the judges that get a lot of the ch.11 cases in NY, delaware, etc. would be better than an article 3 clerkship. I talked to a few biglaw heads of recruiting for their bankruptcy departments, and all of them indicated to me that they had a preference for any bankruptcy clerkship over a district court clerkship (take that for what it's worth since I only talked to a handful of partners about it -- my interest in bankruptcy was pretty short run).

Who really knows where article 4 fits in the mix. I made a thread about it a while ago and a couple people said that article 3 is more prestigious simply because it's an article 3 clerkship and no other reason. But you have to figure that there's a very small number of judges that fall into one of those territories, so it's probably pretty tough to track down an alum from your school that clerked for an article 4 judge and see what employer thought of him after the clerkship relative to someone who took an article 3 clerkship somewhere like puerto rico. My thoughts are, just from a practical perspective, an article 4 clerkship can't be less prestigious than an article 3 clerkship in puerto rico (or even somewhere in the states where no one wants to live - like Montana, assuming you don't want to work in that region that the clerkship was in).

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am

vanwinkle wrote:
rad law wrote:

Ahhhh. Now I understand how someone from Univ. Kansas was able to land a clerkship with Thomas.

Return to “Legal Employment”