Job offer timelines

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Job offer timelines

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 am

Hi,
So I was just offered a job in a PI org. that I'm really interested in. I was supposed to find out about the job two weeks ago, so before I just received the offer I thought I was no longer being considered. I sent out another application to a PI org in which I used my professor's connections. I think that job better suits my interests, but I'd be happy at either. What can I tell the employer that offered me that I would like to wait, without sounding pushy, unprofessional, or ungrateful? Is this something I can tell my employer?
Thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Job offer timelines

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:40 am

Orig. poster here. No one has experience with this? My response is "due" next week.

sheD
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Job offer timelines

Postby sheD » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Since you still have a week to decide, I would contact the second org, let them know that you're really interested in the position (or even that they're your first choice, if that's true) but that you have another offer. Say you would love to come in for an interview ASAP if they are considering you. You might be able to get an offer (or at least a better idea of where you stand) before the first org's deadline. If you're planning on working in PI in the area that you're looking in now, I would definitely avoid pissing anyone off, which you probably will if you ask for more time after they've already given you a week to respond. If you can't close the second job by the deadline, accept or decline. Good luck!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.