"Background check" for clerkship = drug test?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Background check" for clerkship = drug test?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 am

One of the conditions to my clerkship offer is passing a "routine background check"? Does a "routine background check" typically include a drug test?

Anonymous User

Re: "Background check" for clerkship = drug test?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 am

No, at least not in my case. I'm a COA clerk. For my background check, I went in, got fingerprinted, someone ran my prints against an FBI (I think) database, someone else ran a check of my employment history, and I believe that was it.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Do you mean internship/externship or clerkship? There's a difference.

Anyways, nada for mine. Just the basic fingerprinting and criminal background check. I have heard that *some* courts do this, but that's been the exception.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Is the background check comparable to DOJ or AUSUA? i.e., is it an FBI background chcek with interviews of people from your past, sleuthing around old residences, etc. etc.?

OR just a fingerprint check?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, at least not in my case. I'm a COA clerk. For my background check, I went in, got fingerprinted, someone ran my prints against an FBI (I think) database, someone else ran a check of my employment history, and I believe that was it.

ditto - but COA intern

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, at least not in my case. I'm a COA clerk. For my background check, I went in, got fingerprinted, someone ran my prints against an FBI (I think) database, someone else ran a check of my employment history, and I believe that was it.

Same for me (CoA full-time clerk).

Return to “Legal Employment”