biglaw targets for 2l oci

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

biglaw targets for 2l oci

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:08 am

Top 20% at H or S. Plan to keep it that way. From what I understand, there should be no problem getting offers ... only question is where?

What is a good strategy for targeting biglaw employers during oci bidding?

What are the benefits of an elite "Vault" ranking (v5?, v10?) versus any other biglaw firm in the top 50? Is it JUST prestige of no other value, or are there tangible benefits to being in a "better" firm?

Are the "best" firms most selective?

I find it hard to believe there's anything that special about the "top" firms, but since my stats are good, thought it might be useful to see what people think.

nealric

Re: biglaw targets for 2l oci

Postby nealric » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 am

Vault can serve as a rough guide, but it's not the complete picture. An elite firm like Sussman Godfrey doesn't even show up on the vault guide because it's a smaller specialty firm (that just happens to pay almost twice market rates). Vault doesn't track selectivity perfectly either. It's MUCH easier to get a job at Skadden than one at Irell.

The reason to be at a "better" firm is usually stability and exit options. You will work more hours for usually the same pay at Cravath as opposed to White & Case, but you will be more likely to find a job at Goldman Sachs after a few years, and less likely to be laid off in a recession.

Your desired specialty should also have an impact on what you choose. For example, litigators are usually better off at firms known for litigation (Boies, Irell) than at the V5. Chambers and Partners is a good resource for specialty rankings.

If you are top 20% at H/S, you should have a shot at just about any firm. I would try to bid on a range, and go on as many callbacks as your schedule allow to see what type of environment you like. There were readily apparent differences between firms I interviewed at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 am

thanks. very helpful stuff

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:33 am

You'll get in everywhere you apply.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:11 am

A&O wrote:You'll get in everywhere you apply.

Unless you're a social mutant. In which case you'll still get in at the big factory-firms.

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 am

Renzo wrote:
A&O wrote:You'll get in everywhere you apply.

Unless you're a social mutant. In which case you'll still get in at the big factory-firms.

Half-serious/half-meme.

Return to “Legal Employment”