Unemployed 2L, tips or suggestions desired and appreciated.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Unemployed 2L, tips or suggestions desired and appreciated.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 pm

So I am sure I am not the only person in this position, but I 2L transfer to a t-14 school who, as yet, remains unemployed for this upcoming summer. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who got a job, or better yet a decent job, at such a late hour and might have some advice to share. To start it off I have been doing mass mailings and also applying to jobs posted on the jobs board at my school. I also applied to my school's public interest fair (which was, thanks to my lack of any public interest experience or desire to work in said field a total waste of time). So any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

dey206

Re: Unemployed 2L, tips or suggestions desired and appreciated.

Postby dey206 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 am

I know its timing consuming but try to research firms you are applying to as much as possible. Mass emailing is easy, but as someone who helped hire two associates and one summer associate, the resumes of applicants who mass mailed stood out and didn't get much attention (most of the time) as a result.

Otherwise, just keep trying. Maybe go to random places during business hours and chat with strangers. When I worked downtown, Id meet the most interesting people during the lunch hour. If appropiate, let them know you are looking for summer work.

wow just realized Im not supposed to be here Im not a student or grad. but just my 2 cents from working in that environment. Good luck.

oh and using nice paper for your resumes forces it to pop out a bit different from the rest of the bunch. Keep it classic though, but a little thicker and off white does the trick. Sounds silly but a few times we were reviewing applicants and stopped to notice someone's paper.

Return to “Legal Employment”