1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejection from Twin Cities Diversity Clerkship Program as well as Charlotte one.

When did your hear from the Charlotte one and how did they notify you?

Charlotte was earlier this week (or late last week don't really remember) and it was via letter

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Since there seems to be a big NW contingent on here, for those who receive offers and have questions about Seattle area firms, let me know. I was a SA at one Seattle firm that offers a 1L diversity scholarship and have friends that summered at others.

Good luck guys.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Is Gibson Dunn offering any scholarship money to their 1L diversity SA's?

I haven't been able to find detailed information on their program, can someone point me in the right direction?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:19 pm

alirod12 wrote:Is Gibson Dunn offering any scholarship money to their 1L diversity SA's?

I haven't been able to find detailed information on their program, can someone point me in the right direction?

There isn't any information about the program on their website, I'm pretty sure the only information about it comes from wherever the job posting is listed. That said, I know Gibson Dunn NY doesn't come with scholarship money, not sure about the other offices with diversity programs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 am

Offers starting to come out from Pac. NW firms

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Offers starting to come out from Pac. NW firms

Most useful to know which firms...at least a range!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:01 am

All I know of is Foster Pepper having accepted someone. Any other firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:33 am

A Portland firm gave me a rejection via phone (pretty sure you can guess which one). Had a fantastic callback, they spent the entire time selling me on the city, and then called to tell me "thanks, but no thanks."

Needless to say, seeing the number and then hearing "we're not inviting you for the summer" was an emotional roller coaster...and not a fun one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:A Portland firm gave me a rejection via phone (pretty sure you can guess which one). Had a fantastic callback, they spent the entire time selling me on the city, and then called to tell me "thanks, but no thanks."

Needless to say, seeing the number and then hearing "we're not inviting you for the summer" was an emotional roller coaster...and not a fun one.

That's . . . really strange. Usually they send a letter for rejections, even after callback. I'm guessing Schwabe or Stoel, since I don't know of any other Portland firms that do 1L diversity SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A Portland firm gave me a rejection via phone (pretty sure you can guess which one). Had a fantastic callback, they spent the entire time selling me on the city, and then called to tell me "thanks, but no thanks."

That's . . . really strange. Usually they send a letter for rejections, even after callback. I'm guessing Schwabe. That's weird, though, since Schwabe hasn't decided on a candidate yet - they are still interviewing this week.

Not Schwabe, the other one. I was really surprised; it didn't leave a positive impression, which is what I think they were hoping for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's . . . really strange. Usually they send a letter for rejections, even after callback. I'm guessing Schwabe. That's weird, though, since Schwabe hasn't decided on a candidate yet - they are still interviewing this week.

Not Schwabe, the other one. I was really surprised; it didn't leave a positive impression, which is what I think they were hoping for.

I feel ya. Would suck to see the phone number, get hopes up, etc. Still, in some ways it shows more effort than a short letter. At least they cared enough about you to do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:

All I know of is Foster Pepper having accepted someone. Any other firms?

Stoel

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm

portland schwabe's hiring committee's meeting today, finished interviews yesterday, supposed to call tomorrow morning...aaah!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:portland schwabe's hiring committee's meeting today, finished interviews yesterday, supposed to call tomorrow morning...aaah!

Anybody know roughly how many phone/call back interviews they held?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:portland schwabe's hiring committee's meeting today, finished interviews yesterday, supposed to call tomorrow morning...aaah!

I think I remember them saying six

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Six call backs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Six call backs?

Six ppl interviewing on Wed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Missed the call from schwabe this morning, voicemail said they will call back later. That would be a mean way to reject someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think I got a phone call rejection from the same firm. I appreciated the phone call, even though it got my hopes up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:20 pm

What kind of grades are getting offers/callbacks? I have zilch and am top 1/4 at MVP. AA male.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What kind of grades are getting offers/callbacks? I have zilch and am top 1/4 at MVP. AA male.

One offer. Prob top 1% at T2.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Top 30-40%, CCN, non-URM

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:55 pm

YHSCC: Roughly top 20%. Got one offer from Boston (think RG/WH/GP) and two offers NY (V15). Had 6 callbacks, one rejection, and one pending.

Edit to say URM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:51 pm

Top 15% at HSCC; 7 callbacks (declined 2), 4 offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What kind of grades are getting offers/callbacks? I have zilch and am top 1/4 at MVP. AA male.

One offer. Prob top 1% at T2 in region of the firm. Asian male in a very white city.

From what I've observed, interest in region is #1 for the firms I've interviewed at, research/interest in firm is #2, personal qualities are #3. Of course, your personality and charisma is a big deal for them, but there's not a lot anyone can do to change that. I don't think grades are a big issue once you get the callback.

did you accept? or are you waiting to hear back from a few more? if you're waiting, when roughly so you expect to decide?

Return to “Legal Employment”