1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Interviewed with Clifford Chance Scholar Program pre-grades, dinged 30 mins after e-mailing in grades. Above median at T6.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Callback at Gibson extended last week. Fenwick and Perkins have started extending offers as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Had a screening last week after I submitted grades. Anyone heard from Ropes & Gray for the NY or Boston office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i am bottom 10% at a t10. Rejected to most diversity scholarships.

fyi.


did you interview at all? did they email you to notify you? I'm trying to figure out if hearing nothing for a few weeks is a good or a bad thing...

Also did anyone apply to Gibson Dunn?


Had a screening at Gibson for L.A. office last week. No word yet. Any idea on the # of positions available or timetable for responses?


No clue about timetables and responses...but if you don't mind, could you share your stats? T14? T6? Median?

Anyone heard from the New York office?


T10 above median (~30%), W\E.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 am

Seattle movement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seattle movement?


Yes, I have heard back from the following:

DWT
K&L Gates
Perkins Coie
Fenwick
Stoel
Miller Nash
Graham & Dunn
Hillis Clark
Foster Pepper
Dorsey Whitney

About half of these I received either screening or callback interviews at. the other half rejected

So far, the only firm I know that has made an offer is Foster Pepper. Any others?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:19 pm

I've heard nothing either way from:

Schwabe
Hillis Clark
Fenwick

(mostly dings and a few callbacks from others)

Anyone else heard nothing from those three above firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard nothing either way from:

Schwabe
Hillis Clark
Fenwick


I know that each of the above firms have extended callbacks. However, I don't know if they are done selecting ppl for callbacks or if they have only begun.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:57 am

Anybody else heard from Gibson or Munger Tolles?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else heard from Gibson or Munger Tolles?


I was told by Gibson that they won't begin extending offers until March 1, since they are holding CBs up until that date.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:32 pm

accepted a 1L SA position at a large-ish firm (~140 attorneys) in a smaller market. corporate defense litigation. pay is meh, but its pay, and it will look decent on my resume. stress level has dramatically decreased.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:accepted a 1L SA position at a large-ish firm (~140 attorneys) in a smaller market. corporate defense litigation. pay is meh, but its pay, and it will look decent on my resume. stress level has dramatically decreased.


Congrats! That's awesome. I can imagine that's a load off.

for me:
first callback:no offer.
second callback: crossing fingers, but probably 1/5 shot at best.
one more callback left.

I've turned down a solid (but non-paying) job to continue with this process. Hopefully that was wise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just an fyi - pay with the Charlotte diversity program is only $1400 on the in-house side. ended up turning it down last year for more cash.


What did you turn it down for? I am interviewing for this program next week...

I ended up getting non-diversity biglaw

but I have a friend who did it and loved it and is going back for this summer (to the firm, not in-house). to be fair, I was never really interested in "the south." I think I looked good because I had family in Charlotte and they're really interested in people who are looking at Charlotte long-term. (for example, I think last year half of the people interviewing were T6/T14, while the other half where from Carolina schools... and not necessarily good ones)

Show a genuine interest in Charlotte, and knowledge of the whole WaMu/BoA bullshit from the past few years, and you'll be set. The whole interview thing was a big blitz, but just have some good stand-by questions. It actually prepared me a lot for OCI.


What was the turn around like after your interview until they let you know?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Three interviews for Diversity SA positions this week . . . sure hoping for an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Anyone heard back from Dinsmore in Cincinnati and Milbank in New York?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back from Dinsmore in Cincinnati and Milbank in New York?


A friend of mine got an offer from Dinsmore Cincinnati like 3 weeks ago. Unsure if they're going to take it or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back from Dinsmore in Cincinnati and Milbank in New York?


A friend of mine got an offer from Dinsmore Cincinnati like 3 weeks ago. Unsure if they're going to take it or not.


Thanks (where is my ding letter then).

Not to be anal, "a friend" and "they're"? Do you know how many offers have been extended? At Michigan?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Anyone get an offer from Dorsey & Whitney's Seattle office? Just trying to figure out if I still have a chance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back from Dinsmore in Cincinnati and Milbank in New York?


A friend of mine got an offer from Dinsmore Cincinnati like 3 weeks ago. Unsure if they're going to take it or not.


Thanks (where is my ding letter then).

Not to be anal, "a friend" and "they're"? Do you know how many offers have been extended? At Michigan?


Didn't mean to be leading with "they're"... I only know of one person with an offer from Dinsmore Cincinnati and I have no idea how many offers they are planning on extending. And my friend does not go to Michigan.

And you may not necessarily get dinged from Dinsmore. My friend requested an offer extension so that they could interview at more places and Dinsmore granted it but with the caveat that they have other people they are considering so an answer sooner rather than later was requested.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back from Dinsmore in Cincinnati and Milbank in New York?


A friend of mine got an offer from Dinsmore Cincinnati like 3 weeks ago. Unsure if they're going to take it or not.


Thanks (where is my ding letter then).

Not to be anal, "a friend" and "they're"? Do you know how many offers have been extended? At Michigan?


Didn't mean to be leading with "they're"... I only know of one person with an offer from Dinsmore Cincinnati and I have no idea how many offers they are planning on extending. And my friend does not go to Michigan.

And you may not necessarily get dinged from Dinsmore. My friend requested an offer extension so that they could interview at more places and Dinsmore granted it but with the caveat that they have other people they are considering so an answer sooner rather than later was requested.


Thank you for the precious info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Any word on Graham & Dunn (Seattle)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am

On that note - which Seattle firms have sent out rejections?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:On that note - which Seattle firms have sent out rejections?


at least:
Foster, DWT, Stoel, Graham & Dunn, K&L Gates, Dorsey

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Rejection from Twin Cities Diversity Clerkship Program as well as Charlotte one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejection from Twin Cities Diversity Clerkship Program as well as Charlotte one.


When did your hear from the Charlotte one and how did they notify you?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.