1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thelawyler

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby thelawyler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 am

just tagging this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So Perkins Coie is silent across the nation?

yup, silence Perkins Coie LA

Silence in Perkins Coie Chicago

silence in seattle. let's go, perkins!

I was reading some past posts... is Perkins just slow in general? There were some bashing of the Chicago office recruiting team in earlier years...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hear Skadden 1L Scholars Program offers interviews to practically everyone who applies. =/ Hopes pretty low, but nevertheless, I haz zee interview!

Silence from Coie, waiting for Stoel to get back to me on a callback.

T6, ties to seattle.

I don't think this is true. A decent amount of people at one of HYS didn't get interviews. Also they use the essays/ resume to weed people out. And based on their interview schedule its obvious they are only interviewing a handful of people per school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hear Skadden 1L Scholars Program offers interviews to practically everyone who applies. =/ Hopes pretty low, but nevertheless, I haz zee interview!

T6, ties to seattle.

I don't think this is true. A decent amount of people at one of HYS didn't get interviews. Also they use the essays/ resume to weed people out. And based on their interview schedule its obvious they are only interviewing a handful of people per school.

Anyone know if they're super grades-snobby at this stage?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone wondering about Wachtell, I have a friend who just had an interview with them. I have personally not heard back. Probably a ding.

Is this HYS? I applied a while back from a T10, not top 10% but above 1/4 and I'm wondering if I might as well brace for the ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:07 am

T6, ties to seattle.

Seattle office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone wondering about Wachtell, I have a friend who just had an interview with them. I have personally not heard back. Probably a ding.

Is this HYS? I applied a while back from a T10, not top 10% but above 1/4 and I'm wondering if I might as well brace for the ding.

I was recently dinged from Wachtell - T6, ~ top 10%

AnotherYearOlder

Postby AnotherYearOlder » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am

I have a question (apologies if this is not the correct forum): Does the fact that a firm has an official summer associate diversity program make the firm more attractive in general, or does it just make diverse students more likely to apply?

While my firm always tries to encourage diversity in hiring and, therefore, always has a diverse summer associate class, we don't have an official program. Are we doing it wrong?

Thanks for your input.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Skadden definitely does not offer interviews to everyone that applies. A huge chunk of YSHCC people did not get interview requests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Updates:

Apologize for lack of details, don't want to out my "friends."

SEATTLE
DWT-Interviews happening
Foster Pepper-12 candidates interviewed, decisions week of 11th
Graham & Dunn-Interviews happening
Schwabe-Interviews offered
K&L-interviews mostly done (if not already done)

PDX
DWT-still actively interviewing

Silence:

Seattle
Stoel (though have heard of others interviewing)
Miller Nash
Cooley
Hillis Clark
Perkins
Schwabe PDX
Dorsey

-AnonSTL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 pm

anyone hear from fish & richardson?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Perkins Chicago has started to schedule interviews for their 1L Diversity SA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Perkins Chicago has started to schedule interviews for their 1L Diversity SA.

Are you saying that because you got it? If so, stats? Thanks :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn, sorry to hear that. Was this post or pre grades, and was it mail or email? Sorry to pick at an old wound, just trying to see whether I should even be hopeful; I put the most time into Wachtell since I'm extremely interested in transactional law.

Also:

Ding from Jones Day Chicago for the regular 1L program (although they asked for an EEOD or whatever that form is for diversity candidates), not even sure if they got my grades since I submitted a few minutes before I got the email (and judging from my school's OCI, I'm near the top of their OCI GPAs so I'm assuming it was something on my app they didn't like rather than grades).

Also a ding from Wilson Sonsini before I could submit grades. I think they had just a regular 1L program though, don't remember if it was specifically for diversity candidates.

Other than that, just confirmations from some firms and in house places that they've received grades (Cooley, WLRK, Skadden ).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Damn, sorry to hear that. Was this post or pre grades, and was it mail or email? Sorry to pick at an old wound, just trying to see whether I should even be hopeful; I put the most time into Wachtell since I'm extremely interested in transactional law.

Also:

Ding from Jones Day Chicago for the regular 1L program (although they asked for an EEOD or whatever that form is for diversity candidates), not even sure if they got my grades since I submitted a few minutes before I got the email (and judging from my school's OCI, I'm near the top of their OCI GPAs so I'm assuming it was something on my app they didn't like rather than grades).

Also a ding from Wilson Sonsini before I could submit grades. I think they had just a regular 1L program though, don't remember if it was specifically for diversity candidates.

Other than that, just confirmations from some firms and in house places that they've received grades (Cooley, WLRK, Skadden ).

Post-grades, they dinged after I emailed them telling them about an upcoming deadline for another offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 pm

ok this wait/silence is annoying!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:ok this wait/silence is annoying!!

what are you waiting for? any place in particular?...but yes it is annoying waiting to hear back myself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Does anyone know the structure of a Skadden 1L scholar interview? Is it the traditional call back structure: 4-5 attys consisting of partners, associate and hiring committee members?

Also, does anyone know the interview-offer ratio for the scholars program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the structure of a Skadden 1L scholar interview? Is it the traditional call back structure: 4-5 attys consisting of partners, associate and hiring committee members?

Are they coming down to your school to interview you or are you going to their office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I am also curious to learn more about the Skadden 1L scholars program. How competitive is getting a position at the smaller offices like Palo Alto and Wilmington? Do a lot of people apply to those offices thinking competition is less intense?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Anyone hear from Clifford Chance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the structure of a Skadden 1L scholar interview? Is it the traditional call back structure: 4-5 attys consisting of partners, associate and hiring committee members?

Are they coming down to your school to interview you or are you going to their office?

At the firm's office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

At the firm's office.

Your experience might be different from mine because they came down to campus to interview us. But we met with two partners at the same time first and then with the hiring attorney. Both interviews were 20 mins each.

And I think their interview-offer ratio is low. I'm guessing everyone they interviewed applied to the NY office and I think they interviewed at least 12 people. They are probably going to pick a maximum of 2.

As for grades I think they matter a lot in their decision, I just do not know how much. But during the interview they did not ask me about mine, I do not even think they looked at it. And they should they will get back to us early this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Clifford Chance?

Any movement on this front? Does anyone know when they're expected to start sending out offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm

T6, ties to seattle.

Is this true? I don't think it could be, given that hundreds of people definitely applied and they only hold the first interviews (and long ones at that) within a two-week period.

Return to “Legal Employment”