1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought this too, until I asked and discovered that the people who received two of the offers were from Cornell and UVA, respectively. I have significant ties to the area - I think it came down to grades.
As far as I know, UW faired poorly with 1L SAs this year.

Did both have astonishing grades or something? I was above median at YHS and only got a screener/callback from one. Nothing from the rest. I grew up in the area.

I hear almost all the portland and seattle firms are done.

At my MVP, we have at least three who landed 1L SA in the pnw. One of them I know for a fact didn't have stellar grades. This whole process is likely a crap shoot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

At my MVP, we have at least three who landed 1L SA in the pnw. One of them I know for a fact didn't have stellar grades. This whole process is likely a crap shoot.

My guess is there's some combination of fit & flight risk assessment going on. Grades are relevant, but I don't think you can attribute your grades as to why you did or didn't get it. Too small of a sample size, too few positions.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My guess is there's some combination of fit & flight risk assessment going on. Grades are relevant, but I don't think you can attribute your grades as to why you did or didn't get it. Too small of a sample size, too few positions.

Grades are important when there isn't much else to judge you by. But then it would be an uphill battle most of the time even if you have the grades. Re: flight risk, there is a chance that someone may have grades that are too good.

Giving genuine, believable answers to "why our firm" is probably far more important than having good grades.
Last edited by r6_philly on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
Giving genuine, believable answers to "why our firm" is probably far more important than having good grades.

Credited.

For the next generation of 1L SA applicants who read this thread: I am below median, but made my entire application and all interviews about my sincere desire to be at their firm and in their market. Every question they asked had an answer that ended with "and that's why I want to be right here in this city as an attorney at your firm."

I am currently 2/5/7 on offers/callbacks/applications. MVP.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Credited.

For the next generation of 1L SA applicants who read this thread: I am below median, but made my entire application and all interviews about my sincere desire to be at their firm and in their market. Every question they asked had an answer that ended with "and that's why I want to be right here in this city as an attorney at your firm."

I am currently 2/5/7 on offers/callbacks/applications. MVP.

Congrats! Do you mind sending me a pm? I'd love to compare notes.

estopped

Postby estopped » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 pm

It seems like people talk exclusively about the larger diversity programs. Is there a reason why people aren't mentioning the mid-size or in-houseor boutique firm LCLD positions? I applied to many of these and some seem pretty far away still from a final decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 am

Anyone hear from the Neal Gerber 1L Diversity Clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from the Neal Gerber 1L Diversity Clerkship?

Interview scheduled last week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from the Neal Gerber 1L Diversity Clerkship?

Interview scheduled last week

Already had the interview? Do you go to a Chicago school? I don't think I have a chance anymore, no ties

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 pm

No offered from Fox Diversity Fellowship (with Hogan Lovells, Greenberg Traurig, Kirkland and Alston & Bird)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:39 am

Does anyone know if low-socioeconomic is considered "diverse" for 1L SAs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Do East Coast candidates fly out on their own dime for West Coast interviews (assuming I get past the screening/phone interviews) or do they fund it? Trying to see if I need to save up for interviews. I know one 1L diversity explicitly states they'll fly finalists out, but I don't know about the others. Specifically seeking Portland/Seattle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do East Coast candidates fly out on their own dime for West Coast interviews (assuming I get past the screening/phone interviews) or do they fund it? Trying to see if I need to save up for interviews. I know one 1L diversity explicitly states they'll fly finalists out, but I don't know about the others. Specifically seeking Portland/Seattle.

Firms generally pay for callbacks, including diversity apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do East Coast candidates fly out on their own dime for West Coast interviews (assuming I get past the screening/phone interviews) or do they fund it? Trying to see if I need to save up for interviews. I know one 1L diversity explicitly states they'll fly finalists out, but I don't know about the others. Specifically seeking Portland/Seattle.

Firms generally pay for callbacks, including diversity apps.

Excellent. Thank you!

Also, time is of the essence, right? Mostly rolling apps? But I suppose they won't do much deciding until grades come out anyway, right? Basically I'm asking if I can wait until after finals and submit before Christmas. Grades won't be out until mid-Jan anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Excellent. Thank you!

Also, time is of the essence, right? Mostly rolling apps? But I suppose they won't do much deciding until grades come out anyway, right? Basically I'm asking if I can wait until after finals and submit before Christmas. Grades won't be out until mid-Jan anyway.

I don't really know. I had a low yield and I submitted after finals and followed up when grades came out. Not sure if going earlier would have changed anything (my suspicion is no but I'm not sure).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't really know. I had a low yield and I submitted after finals and followed up when grades came out. Not sure if going earlier would have changed anything (my suspicion is no but I'm not sure).

Oh okay, got it. Do you mind telling me if you had any ties in the areas you applied?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't really know. I had a low yield and I submitted after finals and followed up when grades came out. Not sure if going earlier would have changed anything (my suspicion is no but I'm not sure).

Oh okay, got it. Do you mind telling me if you had any ties in the areas you applied?

Some. I applied to pretty much any in a major metro area I would be okay working in.

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:38 pm

tag.

bigstin

Postby bigstin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm

tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 am

Can anyone here please provide links to any sample essays that they found helpful when writing their "personal statement" for the diversity positions...im having a terrible time writing mine any help is greatly appreciated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Does anyone know if low-socioeconomic is considered "diverse" for 1L SAs?

I would say yes, unless the firm lists what they consider diverse and socioeconomic background is not listed among them. Even still, I would say apply and let them deny you. You're not losing anything by submitting your app. Be sure to explain your background in your statement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone here please provide links to any sample essays that they found helpful when writing their "personal statement" for the diversity positions...im having a terrible time writing mine any help is greatly appreciated

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Can we start updating each other
so far

Weil Interview
Mofo rejection

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can we start updating each other