1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My fellow PNW applicants: what's the status with Davis? Phone interviews leading to (seemingly endless) silence? Anyone geting callbacks at either office?

From what I've heard, they finished their callbacks last week.

Has K&L gates extended interviews yet? Has Perkins-Seattle?

Nothing from Perkins here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Perkins SF has sent out some rejections already, not sure about Seattle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Perkins SF has sent out some rejections already, not sure about Seattle.

Perkins Seattle and Portland have sent out some rejections to callbacks.

Hurray.

edit: to clarify that they've already sent out rejections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My fellow PNW applicants: what's the status with Davis? Phone interviews leading to (seemingly endless) silence? Anyone geting callbacks at either office?

From what I've heard, they finished their callbacks last week.

Has K&L gates extended interviews yet? Has Perkins-Seattle?

Rejected by e-mail by K&L gates the other day. Dorsey & Whitney as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Looking back on last year's posts it seems that there should be a few offers out there now. Has anyone heard anything?
I heard Perkins Bellevue extended callbacks.
Also, FP should have met earlier this week: any word on if an offer was extended?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:30 pm

anyone hear back from the firms in nyc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:21 pm

West coast diversity program initial interview.

Don't want to reveal more than this at this time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Just got a 1L Diversity offer from Perkins.

What sucks is that I already accepted an offer from another firm. I would much rather work at Perkins though. I am not sure what to do.

jd-mba

Postby jd-mba » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got a 1L Diversity offer from Perkins.

What sucks is that I already accepted an offer from another firm. I would much rather work at Perkins though. I am not sure what to do.

Can you message me which office this was?

As for choice, is the other firm a big firm that you don't want to burn bridges with? At the same time, it seems like the legal community as a whole is rather small, it would probably reflect poorly on you as a prospective employee if you back out on the other firm...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 pm

jd-mba wrote:

As for choice, is the other firm a big firm that you don't want to burn bridges with? At the same time, it seems like the legal community as a whole is rather small, it would probably reflect poorly on you as a prospective employee if you back out on the other firm...

He's in a tough spot but unfortunately TCR is to take the job he accepted. Reneging on an offer is looked down upon fairly strongly and while there might be some justifiable circumstances (jumping from shitlaw to biglaw) jumping from biglaw to biglaw generally isn't one of them...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jd-mba wrote:

He's in a tough spot but unfortunately TCR is to take the job he accepted. Reneging on an offer is looked down upon fairly strongly and while there might be some justifiable circumstances (jumping from shitlaw to biglaw) jumping from biglaw to biglaw generally isn't one of them...

depends on whether or not the firms are in the same market. if they're in the same city or region generally, you should probably stick with the original.

if they're distant--go with perkins.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Not sure if this has been addressed, but are Asian-Americans considered for diversity positions?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if this has been addressed, but are Asian-Americans considered for diversity positions?

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jd-mba wrote:

depends on whether or not the firms are in the same market. if they're in the same city or region generally, you should probably stick with the original.

if they're distant--go with perkins.

Also depends on whether you intend on participating in OCI. If the other firm complains to your OCS, they might block you from fall recruiting. (This happened to a friend of mine at CCN, but he got an offer from his 1L firm so it turned out OK.)

godofcoffee

Postby godofcoffee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also depends on whether you intend on participating in OCI. If the other firm complains to your OCS, they might block you from fall recruiting. (This happened to a friend of mine at CCN, but he got an offer from his 1L firm so it turned out OK.)

Whether or not Perkins is his first choice for full-time, it'd be stupid to rule OCI out (offers for 2L SAs aren't guaranteed, never mind 1Ls). Morality aside, the basic question is what the firm/career services can do to you for reneging - and as a 1L, they can do a lot.

Bite the bullet and go with the original acceptance.

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:00 am

Would the people who have received interviews/offers from diversity programs mind posting their stats? I haven't heard a word from Perkins or Stoel, no rejection or offers for screener/interviews. Feeling a little lost in limbo!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 am

Had a screener, no callback: T50 school, top 5-10%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:23 am

interviews and callbacks at perkins and stoel, both seattle.

T10, somewhere below median. Bottom 35%?

Pretty sure those rejection letters are somewhere in the mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:31 am

I am the anonymous poster from before that just got an offer from Perkins but already had accepted a different offer.

The firms are in different markets and the first firm does not come to our OCI (They used to before the 2008 crash). Anyway they have no ties to my career services office but I am going to tell them that family concerns have prompted me to stay in the major market that Perkins is in this summer.

I know this is not an ideal thing to do but I loved my interview and the people at Perkins. I will update you all if this backfires or anything interesting happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am

interview at perkins (no word on offer yet :( )
top 1/3 at T20-30 school, graduate degree, work experience, hometown is in the market

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for all of your help -- I'm T30, top 15%, some experience

I heard that we'd hear by Feb 17 but that felt like I'd get my official rejection today. Had no screener, no email, no interview. I'm assuming I wasn't competitive enough :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm

rivkah wrote:Thanks for all of your help -- I'm T30, top 15%, some experience

I heard that we'd hear by Feb 17 but that felt like I'd get my official rejection today. Had no screener, no email, no interview. I'm assuming I wasn't competitive enough :(

ouch, sorry about that bud.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Anyone hear from DWT?

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is not an ideal thing to do but I loved my interview and the people at Perkins. I will update you all if this backfires or anything interesting happens.

please do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Any NYC Bar Fellow decisions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:25 pm

rivkah wrote:Thanks for all of your help -- I'm T30, top 15%, some experience

i wouldn't be bummed. i know classmates who are top 5-15% who also did not get screener or interview. it's an unknown process, a matter of whether or not the person reviewing your application happen to like something on your resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”