1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Any new movement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Someone has to have an offer by now? Does anyone know of someone else with a diversity offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone has to have an offer by now? Does anyone know of someone else with a diversity offer?


I have an offer with an NLJ 100 firm in a secondary market. I still have 3 callbacks (2 diversity, one through Symplicity) over the next 2 weeks, so I'm not locked in, but firms are starting to make offers.

For reference, I received the offer less than 72 hours post-callback. Grades are very good at a T10, but I'm not racially-diverse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:02 am

Anyone interview with Dorsey & Whitney Seattle for their 1L diversity program? If so, have you heard back?

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Got an offer today after interviewing last Tuesday. Secondary market, pay is market (for the city) + scholarship. Very excited.

(I know it's not anonymous, that's why there's no further details).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:25 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:58 am

Any Seattle offers extended yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 am

just an fyi - pay with the Charlotte diversity program is only $1400 on the in-house side. ended up turning it down last year for more cash.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:just an fyi - pay with the Charlotte diversity program is only $1400 on the in-house side. ended up turning it down last year for more cash.


Wait. Does that mean you turned down the Charlotte program as a 0L? Or are you applying to programs as a 2L right now?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

Kretzy wrote:Got an offer today after interviewing last Tuesday. Secondary market, pay is market (for the city) + scholarship. Very excited.

(I know it's not anonymous, that's why there's no further details).


let me guess

Perkins Coie Seattle?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Anyone heard from Wachtell?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Just got the list of participants for my state bar association's diversity program. 4 firms (one vault T60, one nlj top 100, and two 100+ attorney firms that were not quite large enough to make the nlj250) and 7 large corporations (2 international). Interviews are Friday - 15 minutes with each company. Nervous/excited.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just an fyi - pay with the Charlotte diversity program is only $1400 on the in-house side. ended up turning it down last year for more cash.


Wait. Does that mean you turned down the Charlotte program as a 0L? Or are you applying to programs as a 2L right now?

I am currently a 2L who applied to a bunch of diversity programs last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Wachtell?


I know someone who got an interview before he sent in his transcript...but then he told me he didn't get an offer because his grades weren't good enough. I'm a little skeptical because I don't think they give out interviews without first seeing grades.

I sent in my transcript at the end of January and even though I got an immediate reply, I've heard nothing since then. I don't have my hopes up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Wachtell?


I know someone who got an interview before he sent in his transcript...but then he told me he didn't get an offer because his grades weren't good enough. I'm a little skeptical because I don't think they give out interviews without first seeing grades.

I sent in my transcript at the end of January and even though I got an immediate reply, I've heard nothing since then. I don't have my hopes up.

grades aren't as important as you think because Wachtell traditionally doesn't give offers to 1L diversity summers. (although I believe this summer is the first one where they are giving last year's diversity summers a chance to come back for 4 weeks and "be considered" for a perm offer)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Wachtell?


I know someone who got an interview before he sent in his transcript...but then he told me he didn't get an offer because his grades weren't good enough. I'm a little skeptical because I don't think they give out interviews without first seeing grades.

I sent in my transcript at the end of January and even though I got an immediate reply, I've heard nothing since then. I don't have my hopes up.

grades aren't as important as you think because Wachtell traditionally doesn't give offers to 1L diversity summers. (although I believe this summer is the first one where they are giving last year's diversity summers a chance to come back for 4 weeks and "be considered" for a perm offer)


Yeah, but it's still Wachtell. Grades will still matter a lot, regardless of whether an offer could be coming your way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Wachtell?


I know someone who got an interview before he sent in his transcript...but then he told me he didn't get an offer because his grades weren't good enough. I'm a little skeptical because I don't think they give out interviews without first seeing grades.

I sent in my transcript at the end of January and even though I got an immediate reply, I've heard nothing since then. I don't have my hopes up.

grades aren't as important as you think because Wachtell traditionally doesn't give offers to 1L diversity summers. (although I believe this summer is the first one where they are giving last year's diversity summers a chance to come back for 4 weeks and "be considered" for a perm offer)


Yeah, but it's still Wachtell. Grades will still matter a lot, regardless of whether an offer could be coming your way.

well, I know at least one median-or-slightly-below past diversity summer.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby 20121109 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well, I know at least one median-or-slightly-below past diversity summer.


I don't think knowing at least one person who is roughly at median and also happens to be a minority student is really helping your point. It's anecdotal and could be very unrepresentative of the people who worked at Wachtell last summer. Was this person median at a T6 school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:just an fyi - pay with the Charlotte diversity program is only $1400 on the in-house side. ended up turning it down last year for more cash.


What did you turn it down for? I am interviewing for this program next week...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just an fyi - pay with the Charlotte diversity program is only $1400 on the in-house side. ended up turning it down last year for more cash.


What did you turn it down for? I am interviewing for this program next week...

I ended up getting non-diversity biglaw

but I have a friend who did it and loved it and is going back for this summer (to the firm, not in-house). to be fair, I was never really interested in "the south." I think I looked good because I had family in Charlotte and they're really interested in people who are looking at Charlotte long-term. (for example, I think last year half of the people interviewing were T6/T14, while the other half where from Carolina schools... and not necessarily good ones)

Show a genuine interest in Charlotte, and knowledge of the whole WaMu/BoA bullshit from the past few years, and you'll be set. The whole interview thing was a big blitz, but just have some good stand-by questions. It actually prepared me a lot for OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well, I know at least one median-or-slightly-below past diversity summer.


I don't think knowing at least one person who is roughly at median and also happens to be a minority student is really helping your point. It's anecdotal and could be very unrepresentative of the people who worked at Wachtell last summer. Was this person median at a T6 school?

In an effort not to out myself and the people involved, I will just say that grades are NOT the huge factor in Wachtell diversity hiring like they are in Wachtell OCI. Your resume/interview skills are clutch. They are not looking for permanent associates. (The people I know who did 1L summer are GREAT interviews and insanely personable.) Anyway, if you don't believe me, whatever.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:26 pm

i am bottom 10% at a t10. Rejected to most diversity scholarships.

fyi.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i am bottom 10% at a t10. Rejected to most diversity scholarships.

fyi.


did you interview at all? did they email you to notify you? I'm trying to figure out if hearing nothing for a few weeks is a good or a bad thing...

Also did anyone apply to Gibson Dunn?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i am bottom 10% at a t10. Rejected to most diversity scholarships.

fyi.


did you interview at all? did they email you to notify you? I'm trying to figure out if hearing nothing for a few weeks is a good or a bad thing...

Also did anyone apply to Gibson Dunn?


Had a screening at Gibson for L.A. office last week. No word yet. Any idea on the # of positions available or timetable for responses?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i am bottom 10% at a t10. Rejected to most diversity scholarships.

fyi.


did you interview at all? did they email you to notify you? I'm trying to figure out if hearing nothing for a few weeks is a good or a bad thing...

Also did anyone apply to Gibson Dunn?


Had a screening at Gibson for L.A. office last week. No word yet. Any idea on the # of positions available or timetable for responses?


No clue about timetables and responses...but if you don't mind, could you share your stats? T14? T6? Median?

Anyone heard from the New York office?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.