1L diversity SA positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Re: 1L diversity SA positions

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 am

estopped wrote:Ugh. This is so depressing. Places are already giving callbacks and offers, but I haven't even gotten any of my grades yet. Terrible.

Many people got callbacks based on the strength of their resume. Firms started to review candidates before grades came out for a lot of forks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Any news from the Seattle/Portland market? Applying from T14 out-of-state but have strong ties to the PNW. Anxiously waiting to hear something...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from the Seattle/Portland market? Applying from T14 out-of-state but have strong ties to the PNW. Anxiously waiting to hear something...

Same here. Out of state T14 w/strong ties. Nothing substantive from perkins coie, stoel rives, tonkon torp, dwt, etc.

I'll post here if I hear anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 pm

So is it a very bad sign that I haven't heard from MoFo (SF Office) for any sort of interview yet? I didn't get my application in until the 13th so... maybe I still have a shot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is it a very bad sign that I haven't heard from MoFo (SF Office) for any sort of interview yet? I didn't get my application in until the 13th so... maybe I still have a shot?

Just a heads up, they're needs to be mega discretion on here about MoFo's diversity program. Anyone who says they have an interview should be careful.

I've spoken with one recruiter at an office and MoFo is hiring only 5 diversity 1L sa OUT OF ALL THEIR FIRMS!

I can confirm from this recruiter that they already have 1 in SF. Which leaves 4 more slots out of every firm MoFo has.

If you have a phone/in-person interview, you're probably one of a handful of people which could really out you here on TLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So is it a very bad sign that I haven't heard from MoFo (SF Office) for any sort of interview yet? I didn't get my application in until the 13th so... maybe I still have a shot?

Just a heads up, they're needs to be mega discretion on here about MoFo's diversity program. Anyone who says they have an interview should be careful.

I've spoken with one recruiter at an office and MoFo is hiring only 5 diversity 1L sa OUT OF ALL THEIR FIRMS!

I can confirm from this recruiter that they already have 1 in SF. Which leaves 4 more slots out of every firm MoFo has.

If you have a phone/in-person interview, you're probably one of a handful of people which could really out you here on TLS

Thanks for the heads up, I am the original poster above, so I won't expect a response from the person with the interview. Wouldn't want to compromise anyone's chances. Also good to get perspective on how many spots are available - I won't hold my breath.

Has anyone else heard anything from any other firms or diversity SA programs in the bay area? I can't tell if things haven't picked up yet, if I haven't heard anything because I don't have grades yet, or if I should take this as a sign that I am out of the running.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 pm

E-mail rejection by MoFo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:E-mail rejection by MoFo.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1

+1 :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote: ..any other firms or diversity SA programs in the bay area? I can't tell if things haven't picked up yet, if I haven't heard anything because I don't have grades yet, or if I should take this as a sign that I am out of the running.

I haven't heard anything from any diversity sa except for MoFos (i am somewhere along in its interview process now, but won't say where).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Email rejection from Perkins Coie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

+1 :(

:(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from the Seattle/Portland market? Applying from T14 out-of-state but have strong ties to the PNW. Anxiously waiting to hear something...

Same here. Out of state T14 w/strong ties. Nothing substantive from perkins coie, stoel rives, tonkon torp, dwt, etc.

I'm going to stay vague because I don't want to out myself, but there has been interviewing movement on that list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:05 pm

T10 here, just barely above median grades, interviewed for a diversity position (i'm LGBT) in a secondary market not near my law school, but I have a ton of ties to the firm and the area. I seriously would be so happy to get this position - I'll find out sometime in February I think

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Any idea how many phone interviews they give out or what your chances are for a callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:03 pm

can i ask what kind of "diversity" are they looking for? is it just URM like in law school apps or can it be any minority? example: indian, arab, chilean, etc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Deleted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can i ask what kind of "diversity" are they looking for? is it just URM like in law school apps or can it be any minority? example: indian, arab, chilean, etc

Most are broader than URM. Many count LGBTQ, and Asians count for many as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm going to stay vague because I don't want to out myself, but there has been interviewing movement on that list.

Fair enough. Assuming you're talking about your own progress--congrats on the movement

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fair enough. Assuming you're talking about your own progress--congrats on the movement

Trying to reduce the ambiguity...movement with DWT. Anything from the other firms?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can i ask what kind of "diversity" are they looking for? is it just URM like in law school apps or can it be any minority? example: indian, arab, chilean, etc

The applications ask for pretty much any racial/ethnic minority, LGBT, and people coming from disadvantaged background (low SES).

What they actually take? I have no idea.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The applications ask for pretty much any racial/ethnic minority, LGBT, and people coming from disadvantaged background (low SES).

What they actually take? I have no idea.

Good question. Pretty sure even women are counted for diversity purposes at least for NALP firms, though that might be debatable and I doubt if you were a white female you could swing one of these positions. Just a hunch, I could be wrong

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Trying to reduce the ambiguity...movement with DWT. Anything from the other firms?

not yet. crossing my fingers.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Just got an offer from a diversity fellowship. obvs. cant say which one, but it's mentioned on this thread. Pretty stoked.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Guchster wrote:Just got an offer from a diversity fellowship. obvs. cant say which one, but it's mentioned on this thread. Pretty stoked.

Grats!

Return to “Legal Employment”